I feed my 4 mo kitten Iams dry food. Should I give something else?

I sometimes feel like he should have more of a variety. Also, wondering if I should give canned food to him.

I sometimes feel like he should have more of a variety. Also, wondering if I should give canned food to him....
    Other Pet Discussions : I feed my 4 mo kitten Iams dry food. Should I give something else?...

• I feed my 4 mo kitten Iams dry food. Should I give something else?

I feed my 4 mo kitten Iams dry food. Should I give something else? Other Pet Discussions
      I sometimes feel like he should have more of a variety. Also, wondering if I should give canned food to him.

I feed my 4 mo kitten Iams dry food. Should I give something else? Other Pet Discussions
    • I personally would take him off Iams and put him on Science Diet. It's better and they don't test it on animals in a cruel way. If you want to see or read about how Iams is about their testing, go to www.peta.com and search for Iams. There will be plenty of stuff to make you change your mind.Sorry for the bad news, but, it's not right for me at least, to feed my pets food that has caused other animals to suffer horribly.Check it out...........you'll see.

• WendyI agree that you should give him some canned food as well.Your cat's diet is nutritionally complete with just Iams, but kitties don't eat kibble in the wild. I'm sure that your kitten would appreciate something meatier as well as his dry food.As long as he likes his Iams, I wouldn't worry about providing him with another brand of dry food. But I'm sure he'd love a can of wet food every day!

• All your cat needs is dry food. Canned food is very high in calories and should only be used in extreme cases where she is ill and won't eat. At this point she should be on a kitten formula for a year. After her 1st birthday she can switch to an adult maintenance dry food. The food manufacturers are very good at formulating food for animals that is nutritionally balanced for their species and their age. Treats should not be used. They do not need treats and they can become so used to the treats or the canned food that they won't eat the dry food. Iam's makes a good kitten food. My kitten is on Science Diet Kitten Original and I am in the process of switching her to the adult formula now as she was a rescue and I am not sure how old she is. When you change to the adult food do it very gradually as to not cause gastric upset in the process. They are finicky by nature and you sort of have to trick them or they may know that there is a change and stop eating all together. Do this by mixing a few of the kibble from the new food in with the old food for a day or two and then gradually increase the new and decrease the old. Do this over the course of 2-3 wks and you will have best results.Remember dry is best. GL

• I always feed our kittens kitten food - whiskas. Probably 1 sachet twice a day would be enough for a 4 month old kitten. Cats dont over eat so if some is left over it was to much. There is nothing wrong with dry food however and it has all the right nutrients and vitamins your kitten needs.

• I have had Jack and a few other cats through the years.keep your cat on Iams it's very good for him just make sure it has hairball control in the mix.and it's important for your cat to get two wet meals a day..The way i do it is Jack has his dry food bowl full all the time and in the morning and supper times he gets a tablespoon full of wet cat food..Do your cat a favor and don't be cheap with the cost of his food...I feed my cat and dogs nothing but the best and they are happy and very healthy and energetic..

• it's perfectly fine to have variety, but be sure to watch the food your cats main nutrition omes from. many brands of food contain corn products in their first 5 ingredients, and corn is just a filler, it does not digest in their stomachs in the same way it doesnt digest in ours. it won't harm them, other then the sugar involved causing muscle depletion and high cholesterol, but it isnt good nutrition, and also causes them to produce more waste. I would reccomend remaining with the kibble being your kittens main source of food, because kibble can be left out for free feeding, as well as it helping with your cats dental health. wet food won't help a cat clean its teeth, and more often than not it contains a high amount of sugar (code name gluten) which is almost never good for their health, except in special cases. Only feed wet food for treats, and make sure you've got a good kibble. if you dont want to have to switch from kitten formula to adult formula, use Natural Balance, its one of the best foods on the market with whole ingredients and no harmful artificial preservatives, and it's formula is meant for cats of all ages kitten to senior. you can only find it in pet stores and it is a little more expensive but it is awesome, and so worth it for your cats health. hope it helps!BTW for those who are recommending science diet, heres a link to their page that says in plain english that their 3rd 4thand 5th ingredient is corn gluten (sugar), chicken by product (bones feathers and lips), and ground whole grain corn (filler), just because it is named "science diet" and vet's get kick backs from Hill's thereby making it vet recommended, doesn't make it good food.

• Definitely! Toss the Iams straight into the garbage.Personally, if I knew then what I know now, or if I were to start over with a kitten, I would start them eating a whole prey diet.The next best thing is raw meat that you prepare and supplement yourself.After that comes a good quality canned food.The thing is, although I've learned a lot about cat nutrition, I have 2 adults and so can't tell you much about what to feed kittens.I have heard that they can start eating whole prey or raw meat once they're weaned, so you're probably ok if you want to try that.I'm pasting in all my usual links about cat nutrition and what kinds of canned food to eat. I'm sure there's info in there about kittens.Just remember these things:1. Start as you mean to go on. Some cats get very attached to their food routines and it can be difficult to change their diets later.2. Most vets don't know anything about cat nutrition. 3. Dental health comes from chewing on raw bones and muscle meat - dry food doesn't clean their teeth. I can guarantee you that. If it did, Poppy wouldn't have tartar.4. If you feed a good quality food, the benefits are myriad.5. Cats are CARNIVORES. Dry food typically doesn't contain meat - it contains grains. Carbs are bad for cats.

• A diet composed of primaily wet canned cat food is the best diet for a cat. Cats do not drink as much water as they need and a lack of water in the diet can cause a myriad of health issues (UTI, kidney crystals, dehydration, etc.). Moreover, dry cat food contains a ot of carbohydrates which make kitty very very fat. Cats are obligate carnivores (they need a lot of protein) and the only grains they eat in the wild are the grains eaten by their prey (mice). If you read the lables on dry cat food, you will find a great deal of unecessary grains especially corn (maize) products.Start kitty with a good diet now to avoid health problems as he matures.

• I agree, don't feed your kitten IAMS. I would suggest Hills Science Diet, that is what give my cat. My cat was previously on IAMS and it made his DEATHLY sick. My vet, told me to feed him Hills science diet, and he has been fine ever since. Dry food is perfectly fine for kittens and cats.