Questions about cat diet and allergies?

I have a 10 Month old kitten we have taken to the vet a week ago he said there was nothing wrong with him hes healthy hes been coughing so he said hes probably got a hairball. He has also been sneezing, has watery eyes itching, has a dermatitis style…

I have a 10 Month old kitten we have taken to the vet a week ago he said there was nothing wrong with him hes healthy hes been coughing so he said hes probably got a hairball. He has also been sneezing, has watery eyes itching, has a dermatitis style…...
    Other Pet Discussions : Questions about cat diet and allergies?...

• Questions about cat diet and allergies?

Questions about cat diet and allergies? Other Pet Discussions
      I have a 10 Month old kitten we have taken to the vet a week ago he said there was nothing wrong with him hes healthy hes been coughing so he said hes probably got a hairball. He has also been sneezing, has watery eyes itching, has a dermatitis style rash on his stomach that he scratches often. The vet suggested to change his litter from clay to something with less dust so we are trying Worlds Best which has been working wonders at keeping the sneezing down and his rash is beginning to heal. But in the last few days he has been coughing once a day, once he produced a brown mucous like vomit then he went about playing again. We also changed his food a week ago in case he has food allergies, we switched from Acana Prarie to Blue Wilderness Duck to see if he gets better, has gotten a little better in a week but still coughing. He passed a hairball earlier in the week and was scooting his butt on the floor and that was the only time he has scooted. I noticed some hair stuck to his butt as well as hair in his poop in litterbox. He is eating and drinking more in the last 2 days and its worrying I have booked him a vet appointment with a different vet for tomorrow, I was just wondering if anyone has had the same experiences with there cats as I am having now. His poops are normal, maybe a little softer then usual, and hes not acting any different. Also when he got his shots and neutered 4 months ago he got his rabies shot and had a bump on his back which was a reaction to the shot. Our 2 year old cat has been diagnosed with herpes when we found him as a kitten, but the kitten doesnt have the same symptoms our 2 year old gets. Thank you for reading, I hope its nothing major.

Questions about cat diet and allergies? Other Pet Discussions
    • You have done the one thing obvious to see if food allergies are a problem, and that is to change his food to contain a protein he likely has never encountered before, and that is the Blue Wilderness Duck. It's grain free. It does contain berries and vegetables, so one thought is to look for a grain free food with something like duck or venison that doesn't have vegetables.A second opinion from a different vet, which you have scheduled, may provide you with more guidance.Are you supplementing lysine for your other cat for the herpes problem? Cats harbor the herpes eye virus, and while it is usually under control, stress can cause a flare up and adding some lysine knocks down the virus.

• i don't see anything major here. An all canned food diet with no grains should clear up any allergy problems. Get some L-lysene for the sneezing crush 1/2 pill into the food 2x a day Get some acidouphiles for the soft stool 1/8th teaspoon into the food best of luck www.catinfo.org