Can you use Peroxide to clean a small wound on a dog?

My dog has a small wound from hunting over the weekend, I was wondering if we could clean it with peroxide or if there is a special cleanser I should use for pets. Thanks!

My dog has a small wound from hunting over the weekend, I was wondering if we could clean it with peroxide or if there is a special cleanser I should use for pets. Thanks!...
    General Dog Discussions : Can you use Peroxide to clean a small wound on a dog?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Can you use Peroxide to clean a small wound on a dog?

Can you use Peroxide to clean a small wound on a dog? General Dog Discussions
      My dog has a small wound from hunting over the weekend, I was wondering if we could clean it with peroxide or if there is a special cleanser I should use for pets. Thanks!

Can you use Peroxide to clean a small wound on a dog? General Dog Discussions
    • Yes, you can. Keep the area clean using peroxide and keep it exposed (do not bandage the lesion). If you notice any swelling, reddness, discharge, or if the area feels warm to the touch you should call your vet. You will need to treat the infection with antibiotics.

• yes, you can, but i wouldnt.dogs have a clean mouth and very often take care of things like that by licking them. its just fine like that.you should just wash the area with an anti-bacterial soap and let him heal.. thats what i would do...

• NO!!! Never use peroxide on your pets. It PROMOTES scar tissue! It is good for cleaning up blood from around the wound (especially on long hair dogs), but never use it on the wound itself. Just keep it clean with a washcloth dampened with warm water only. If you think it needs more care than this, it is best to see your vet.

• It's not the best thing anymore (it can damage newly-healed tissue), but it works. Triple anti-biotic creams are better if it is a briar (scratch type) wound. If it is a deeper wound that needs flushing, buy something with hexachloradine in it such as "Novasan" from a vet or a pet store. If it requires a bandage, I recommend using Nitrofurazone. It's a water soluble dressing made for horses that several veterinarians have recommended to me. It is not expensive and most feed stores carry it (as do large animal vets).