Will a vet give you time if a dog needs to be put down?

My much older dog has a vet appointment tomorrow and he hasn't been doing well. I'm just very scared that the vet will say he has to be put down and he just won't come home. Can someone just tell me what happens after a vet advises that a dog should be…

My much older dog has a vet appointment tomorrow and he hasn't been doing well. I'm just very scared that the vet will say he has to be put down and he just won't come home. Can someone just tell me what happens after a vet advises that a dog should be…...
    General Dog Discussions : Will a vet give you time if a dog needs to be put down?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Will a vet give you time if a dog needs to be put down?

Will a vet give you time if a dog needs to be put down? General Dog Discussions
      My much older dog has a vet appointment tomorrow and he hasn't been doing well. I'm just very scared that the vet will say he has to be put down and he just won't come home. Can someone just tell me what happens after a vet advises that a dog should be put down?

Will a vet give you time if a dog needs to be put down? General Dog Discussions
    • The vet cannot force you to euthenase your pet if you do not consent.This is very important- they HAVE to have your permission.It is obviously important to get your dog checked out if he is having health problems- and hopefully this will be something that can be treated and resolved, but if not- the vet has no right to force you to put him to sleep.Obviously if it came to this, it would be a big decision, and you may want to think it over for a couple of days, anyway.The vet can advise that this is the best thing to do, and if this is the vet's advice- then it is certainly somthing that needs to be taken seriously- but you absolutely have the right to take your dog home if you are not ready for this to happen.Good luck- I hope that the problem is not serious.

• The vet willAdvise if he thinks te dog I's I'n pain and will suffer with medication anyway, they won't make you put him down. They can't do that unless the dog I's seriously I'll and then they have to give animal welfare a call who decide over a court case, but thats I'n very serious matters. If you don't feel like he should not be put down then seek a Second opinion.Trust your gut feeling...if you take away the love you feel for your dog and think about his pain then you will make a decision. Good luck and i will pray for you and him! Regards xxx x x

• Most veterinarians will probably ask if you would like some time with your pet before it is euthanized. If they do not offer this, don't hesitate to ask. Unless the animal is in excruciating pain, it's not an unreasonable request to have a few moments to say your goodbyes.

• The vet does not own the dog. It is up to the people to make an informed decision.Informed means knowing what is wrong with the dog, if the dog is in pain, if the pain can be controlled with medication, what will it cost to treat the dog, etc.

• Once a vet advises that a pet should be put down, it's ultimately the owners decision as to when. You can have it done right than and there or schedule it for another time when you and your family are ready. It could be a few days, a week, but the dogs best interest should be in this decision as you really wouldn't want it to be in lots of pain and suffering too much. I sure do hope for the best for your dog.

• Vet's usually don't advise euthanasia...they'll give you the facts and let you make the decision. If it seems to be the best option, then ask the vet for an appropriate timeframe for it. A week? A few hours? Make the appointment and take your dog home with you to deal with the decision and to say your goodbyes. Unless the dog is in immediate distress, there should be no issues with this.