About how long does a ruptured anal gland for a dog take to heal? Are there any specific treatments for it?

My dog has recently ruptured her anal gland and I was wondering how long it would take to heal completely, or at least until there is not an open wound to easily let infection or debris in. When she ruptured her anal gland, we cleaned out the wound,…

About how long does a ruptured anal gland for a dog take to heal? Are there any specific treatments for it?

My dog has recently ruptured her anal gland and I was wondering how long it would take to heal completely, or at least until there is not an open wound to easily let infection or debris in. When she ruptured her anal gland, we cleaned out the wound,…...
    General Dog Discussions : About how long does a ruptured anal gland for a dog take to heal? Are there any specific treatments for it?...

• About how long does a ruptured anal gland for a dog take to heal? Are there any specific treatments for it?

About how long does a ruptured anal gland for a dog take to heal? Are there any specific treatments for it? General Dog Discussions
      My dog has recently ruptured her anal gland and I was wondering how long it would take to heal completely, or at least until there is not an open wound to easily let infection or debris in. When she ruptured her anal gland, we cleaned out the wound, applied antibiotic ointment, and put a cone over so she wouldn't lick the wound. Is there any special treatment we must provide for it to heal better? Or should we just periodically apply ointment? And about how long will it take to heal?

About how long does a ruptured anal gland for a dog take to heal? Are there any specific treatments for it? General Dog Discussions
    • I'd suggest your dog needs to be seen by A VET if she has ruptured this gland. AGs are internal so I'm not quite what has happened here and what you are self-treating!!One of mine had to have his removed, and there were stitches involved - it was a far from nice surgery and frankly if your b itch has managed to do this, I'd be taking her straight to my vet - she would probably need antibiotic support, to aid healing. At least!!