My dog jumped off my bed and is now limping. Would we know if it was severe?

He made a yelping sound and ran downstairs because someone was at the door. He now won't use his back leg that much. When we move it, it moves and he doesn't cry, When I massage it he doesn't cry. He just won't use it that often. He would walk for couple…

He made a yelping sound and ran downstairs because someone was at the door. He now won't use his back leg that much. When we move it, it moves and he doesn't cry, When I massage it he doesn't cry. He just won't use it that often. He would walk for couple…...
    General Dog Discussions : My dog jumped off my bed and is now limping. Would we know if it was severe?...

• My dog jumped off my bed and is now limping. Would we know if it was severe?

My dog jumped off my bed and is now limping. Would we know if it was severe? General Dog Discussions
      He made a yelping sound and ran downstairs because someone was at the door. He now won't use his back leg that much. When we move it, it moves and he doesn't cry, When I massage it he doesn't cry. He just won't use it that often. He would walk for couple of seconds and then sit there and then eventually lay down. What should I do right now?

My dog jumped off my bed and is now limping. Would we know if it was severe? General Dog Discussions
    • That's a tough one to answer.If he's putting weight on it, it's not broken, which is a great thing, but he could have pulled his acl, which could be a very bad, expensive thing. Give him a couple of days, then get him to a vet if there's no improvement or if things worsen.

• Give him some time to rest. If he seems like he's crying while walking on it or in severe pain, then you should take him to the vet. My dog has has a few incidents like that where she twisted her paw, or jumped the wrong way. She yelped, limped for a few, and eventually was fine after a little bit of rest. Try keeping him calm and laying down. If you have a crate, put him in there for a little bit to relax and keep off of his hurt leg.

• Just because if doesn't hurt him when you move or massage it doesn't mean it doesnt hurt when he puts weight on it. It could also be something with his hips not just his legs. I would take him to the vet just to be sure because even if its something minor it could turn worse if not properly cared for.

• It is a common injury. Often it is a luxating patella. It has to do with a slipping knee cap. Let the dog rest. If it is not better by three or four days you may need to see the veterinarian. The surjury is very expensive. I believe around $2,000.00 I had to have both knees done on a small Chihuahua. I do know it is fairly common in large active dogs. I have a friend looking for a Lab rescue and that is a priority. Dogs do not complain. The only sign you will see will be a slight limp.

• Take your dog to the vet. Dogs are designed to give little or no indication of injury or illness since doing so would make them a target to their fellow pack members. An injured pack member is one that losses his/her position in the pack and could be kicked out if that injury keeps it from being able to hunt or keep up with the movement of the pack. Essentially your dog is probably in a lot more pain than he or she lets on out of that instinctual behavior. Inflamation and obvious pain are not the only things you should consider. If the limb feels just a bit wamer to the touch than the rest of the other limbs then there is something definately vet worthy going on. Often times small dogs break their legs jumping off beds and the leg doesn't get deformed, or swell, its just more warm to the touch and the dog favors it from time to time. The best thing you can do for your dog is take him or her to the vet.