How do you decide when to put down your beloved dog?

My 16-year-old dog had probably a couple of strokes. She has now mobility problems, she sometimes moves in circles, she cannot focus, she has difficulty in eating etc. She is disorientated but i cannot tell if she suffers. I cannot bear the idea of…

How do you decide when to put down your beloved dog?

My 16-year-old dog had probably a couple of strokes. She has now mobility problems, she sometimes moves in circles, she cannot focus, she has difficulty in eating etc. She is disorientated but i cannot tell if she suffers. I cannot bear the idea of…...
    General Dog Discussions : How do you decide when to put down your beloved dog?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• that dog is 112 years old. im sorry but anything over the age of 100 has got to be suffering. i had to put my dog to sleep last year and its not the easiest thing to do but i would rather have her not suffer for a lengthy time just for me to be happy that kind of selfish. best time to do it as soon as possible and then go get another dog to replace the current one. it wont take away all the pain but it will help.

• No one can tell you when to put your pet down. But you should know that if she is in pain or if her bad days out number her good ones, the best thing you could do for her is to let her go painlessly. Do not keep her just for your feelings. She could get worse. You dont want to remember her suffering. You will know. Give her all the love and attention you can while you still have her. You decide what's best for her. I would always want to remember the good times that I have had, and not remember the last little while she had suffering bc I didn't let her go sooner. Sorry, I'm not trying to sound ugly...I'm very sympathetic for you. Animals hide their pain well sometimes. You just love her unconditionally the time comes. You will know, her bad days will start to out number the good ones and she will start to let you know. Good luck.

• I know from personal experience on this .It is the one of the most hardest things I had to do. My dog like yours was old ,I too did not want to play god and end his life,but it was pointed out to me that i was being selfish by keep him alive.Look at her eyes she will have the answer in them.You have already answered your own question she has lived a good life.let her go with the love you have for her,It will not be easy but in the end it what best for her not you.Do not let her suffer it just the start soon other things will begin to happen like loosing control of the bowels, lost of apatite these are signs she is tired and ready to go to puppy heaven,say your good byes now and be with her.she be live it or not is hanging on for you because you cannot let her go ,tell her its OK . I hate to have you wait until it was too late and find her past away alone in the night.She deserves better than that. Talk it over with other family members be strong,letting a family member go is never easy,I feel your pain,and know what hard decisions you need to think about,It is the most humane thing you can do for your pet.As much as it hurts you now just know you provied that dog with as much love as you could and did everything you could. In the end you will know she will tell you just watch her body language. Take care all the best give your girl a big hug from me.

• That is the worst decision in the world. I empathize with you. One time, I put a dog down before she was ready and I will NEVER get over the guilt. So now, I wait until the dog tells me it's time. And they do you know - you can see it in their eyes. Go with your heart and it'll never be the wrong decision. Good luck to you.-MM

• First of all you deserve a congratulations for your dog living that long. You had to have given her great care, and lots of love. Your last gesture of love should be to end her suffering and give her peace. I know it is hard and extremely painful and it is easy for all of us to sit here behind computrs and tell you what to do because it is not our hearts that are involved. I love my dogs so much I would lay my life down for them but I could never bear to see them hurt. In your heart you know the answer but it probally is not the answer you want to hear. Would you want to live like her? Think over the years and remember the healthy happy dog and how much love she gave you. In 16 years she has given you unconditional love and the truest friendship and it is easy to see why it is hard to let go,but let go for her. Return all the love she has given to you by loving her and ending her suffering. When they can not eat, move freely, play, and be a dog its time to let go.

• I HAD THE SAME DILEMMA 3 MONTHS AGO W/MY 1O YEAR OLD BEAGLE. HE SPENT A WEEK WITHOUT EATING AND WHEN I TOOK HIM TO THE VET HE TOLD ME HIS KIDNEYS WERE NOT WORKING. HE SAID HE COULD PUT AN IV ON HIM BUT THEN, WE WOULD BE BACK TO SQUARE ONE. I ASKED HIM WHAT I SHOULD DO AND HE REPLIED THAT IF IT WERE HIS DOG HE WOULD PUT HIM DOWN. I DID NOT WANT HIM TO SUFFER ANYMORE AND I'M SURE YOU DON'TEITHER. LET HIM GO, I KNOW IT IS VER HARD BECAUSE I CRIED MY HEART OUT BUT, I THINK THIS IS THE RIGHT MOMENT. MY PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU.