How long did your dog live after amputation due to bone cancer?

We are debating on amputating my 5 year old labs leg due to bone cancer. I was reading that the life expectancy is only 3-4 months and 1 year with chemo. I want to know if this is the case in dogs who's cancer has spread and how many people have had this…

We are debating on amputating my 5 year old labs leg due to bone cancer. I was reading that the life expectancy is only 3-4 months and 1 year with chemo. I want to know if this is the case in dogs who's cancer has spread and how many people have had this…...
    General Dog Discussions : How long did your dog live after amputation due to bone cancer?...

• How long did your dog live after amputation due to bone cancer?

How long did your dog live after amputation due to bone cancer? General Dog Discussions
      We are debating on amputating my 5 year old labs leg due to bone cancer. I was reading that the life expectancy is only 3-4 months and 1 year with chemo. I want to know if this is the case in dogs who's cancer has spread and how many people have had this experience. I am at a loss for what to do, I don't want to make him have surgery only for him to die in 3 months.

How long did your dog live after amputation due to bone cancer? General Dog Discussions
    • Ask your vet for the proper answer, because he/she can give you the exact estimate, because he/she can examine your dog, and give you the best life expectancy after amputation.It really depends on how serious the bone cancer is.I knew a dog with the same issue, and his owners were terrified for their dogs life, so they decided not to give the dog amputation.After a couple of months the dog fought off the cancer, and was cured. the dog is now 14 years old & is healthy as ever.BUT, i honestly think that dog was VERY lucky.it's very chancy, so i suggest not to take risks.I really don't think that the life expectancy after amputation due to bone cancer is really 3-4 months, i think it could be more then a year.But, i am not a vet, and i could be wrong.Hope with all my heart your lab gets better. <3Good Luck ;)

• Hi. I have a three legged dog (not due to cancer), and i wanted to direct you to a helpful website. Www.tripawds.com the folks who run it are very nice and there are lots of cancer resources including a forum and chat. Tell them ThreeLeggedMax sent you!