Where are the sites for IV administration in dogs and cats?

Where are these veins at? -Medial saphenous vein-lateral saphenous vein-carotid artery (jugular right?)-cephalic veinIs there a site I can go to so I can see a picture or something visually?Also what sites are certain vaccinations supposed to go? Like…

Where are these veins at? -Medial saphenous vein-lateral saphenous vein-carotid artery (jugular right?)-cephalic veinIs there a site I can go to so I can see a picture or something visually?Also what sites are certain vaccinations supposed to go? Like…...
    General Dog Discussions : Where are the sites for IV administration in dogs and cats?...

• Where are the sites for IV administration in dogs and cats?

Where are the sites for IV administration in dogs and cats? General Dog Discussions
      Where are these veins at? -Medial saphenous vein-lateral saphenous vein-carotid artery (jugular right?)-cephalic veinIs there a site I can go to so I can see a picture or something visually?Also what sites are certain vaccinations supposed to go? Like rabies vacc, distemper, FIV, etc. Where are the vaccinations supposed to be given? Thanks A TON.

Where are the sites for IV administration in dogs and cats? General Dog Discussions
    • The medial saphenous and lateral saphenous veins are on the back legs. The lateral is on the outside of the leg, while the medial is on the inside of the back leg.We use the medial (inside) for blood draws on cats a lot. They lie on their sides and do quite well with it. The lateral (outside) back leg vein is useful in dogs that don't like to be faced head on. You can get behind them or out of their field of vision and barely a little stick on the outside of that rear leg. They hardly notice it.The cephalic is the preferred vein is on the front leg, below the elbow and above the wrist. It's a good spot on dogs, but a cat's teeth are right there next to your hand, so I don't prefer it on cats (but you can use it.) It is preferable for iv catheters, though, on all dogs and cats.The jugular is the best place to get a larger amount of blood (like 2-3 tubes.) As far as photos, just google online to find them. Vaccine sites vary. On cats, we insist on giving the vaccines low on the legs in case of a cancerous tumor forming at the injection site. We currently have a hospital cat with 3 legs because of an amputation that had to be done. Had we vaccinated high up, the cat would've died.We give Rabies on the right rear leg for cats. Cat distemper goes on the right front, feline leukemia on the left rear. Dog rabies goes on the right shoulder. Distemper on the left shoulder with lepto on the left rear. Kennel cough is nose drops or injection between shoulder blades. Canine influenza and lyme on shoulder blades.Different hospitals will have different protocols on vaccines, but they tend to have all vets and staff use the same sites for vaccines. That way if there's a reaction, they can tell which vaccine was involved, particularly with the injection site reactions.Whew!! Was this a test?vet tech