Why does my dog keep licking her butt?

My chihuahua pup seems to spend an awful lot of time licking her butthole, and I don't know why. Does she have a problem with her anus, or does she simply like the smell/taste? According to the symptoms I have looked up, she does not have worms.

My chihuahua pup seems to spend an awful lot of time licking her butthole, and I don't know why. Does she have a problem with her anus, or does she simply like the smell/taste? According to the symptoms I have looked up, she does not have worms....
    General Dog Discussions : Why does my dog keep licking her butt?...

• Why does my dog keep licking her butt?

Why does my dog keep licking her butt? General Dog Discussions
      My chihuahua pup seems to spend an awful lot of time licking her butthole, and I don't know why. Does she have a problem with her anus, or does she simply like the smell/taste? According to the symptoms I have looked up, she does not have worms.

Why does my dog keep licking her butt? General Dog Discussions
    • sounds like anal glands, my bro had a problem with his dog and the vet said its better if you learn because if a dog suffers ... they will repeatedly suffer ... be warned it's really kinda gross. but take her to the vet to be sure, because I can't even begin to describe what needs to be done!!!

• It's okay if your dog is licking the area, but if she's spending a lot of time doing it, that's not normal. I don't imagine that it's a really serious problem, but it's probably uncomfortable for your dog, so I would take her to the vet. She may have a small infection or the area may just be inflamed. She might be suffering from diarrhea or something?

• I would definitely take her to the vet to have her anal glands checked. Have you noticed her also scooting her bottom along the floor? That is another symptom of an anal gland problem. Don't wait too long because these glands can rupture, and once they do, the procedure to flush them out is more expensive than having them expressed. Not to mention the pain your poor dog would have to go through!

• Very likely, your dog needs to get its anal glands depressed. This should only be done at the vets office, or in some cases, by a QUALIFIED groomer. The dog can suffer greatly if they are not drained correctly. Whenever you see a dog dragging their butt across the floor, or the dog is constantly licking that area, the most likely reason is that they need to have their anal glands drained. Many people mistakenly think that the commonest reason is worms, but they are wrong. The dog is feeling intense discomfort, and is trying to self-drain. But they can hurt themselves if you allowthem to continue the butt dragging. This is normal, many dogs, especially it seems smaller ones, will need to have this procedure done periodically. Maybe every few months, maybe once a year. Best done by a vet. Cost can be from 25 bux on up. I have heard of some people charging more than 60 bux. Call around, and colect ballpark figures.