How do I treat a house for fleas?

I found a few fleas on my dog...how should I treat the carpet, bedding, etc.? I've given him a bath, and also bathed the 2 cats and 2 ferrets. We're not infested with them, but I'd like to prevent that.I do already vacuum daily with the animals in the…

I found a few fleas on my dog...how should I treat the carpet, bedding, etc.? I've given him a bath, and also bathed the 2 cats and 2 ferrets. We're not infested with them, but I'd like to prevent that.I do already vacuum daily with the animals in the…...
    General Dog Discussions : How do I treat a house for fleas?...

• How do I treat a house for fleas?

How do I treat a house for fleas? General Dog Discussions
      I found a few fleas on my dog...how should I treat the carpet, bedding, etc.? I've given him a bath, and also bathed the 2 cats and 2 ferrets. We're not infested with them, but I'd like to prevent that.I do already vacuum daily with the animals in the house. I haven't found any fleas on either myself or my daughter, and I've washed the dog's rug, and the cats bed in hot water.

How do I treat a house for fleas? General Dog Discussions
    • You need to bomb your house , esp. every month to kill the eggs. Try putting a little brewer's yeast in your animal's food. If you have a yard, try planting fleabane in the garden. Cedar oil works well too. I would use a good flea and drop on his back every month. Shack out and change bed linen at least once a month.

• The single most important thing is to keep your house squeaky clean for a while until the flea threat is gone. Vacuum every day, preferably more than once a day. Get all those dark corners, and especially under beds and couches and all furniture. Machine wash everything your animals have been laying on, and their beds. Some people suggest throwing away pet beds but if you wash them well it shouldn't be necessary. Wipe off every surface where your animals could have possibly shed. You need to treat your animals with a quality flea med. The cheap non-prescription kinds don't work, and can make your animals sick, so get something from a vet. I use FrontLine. I prefer not to bomb or use chemicals except as a last resort, but that's just me. Get rid of those fleas fast before they get out of control and remember to vacuum!

• You can buy flea bombs, but you have to get out of the house for hours.I used to sprinkle the carpet with dog flea powder, if there were flea they would start jumping, you can see them. Then I would vacuum the carpets and throw the vacuum cleaner bag straight in the outside bin. I would also put the vaccy bag in a plastic bag and tied it in a knot.I only had to do it twice, but every now and again I would do it just to make sure there were not fleas in the carpets. We eventually ripped the carpets out and varnished the floors.