How to tell if Advance Multi is effectively deworming my dog?

Took my vet to the vet yesterday and she has round worms and whip worms. He gave me an 8 month supply of Advance Multi for dogs. I am suppose to apply it to the skin once a month. I applied it yesterday when we got home. How long does it take to start…

Took my vet to the vet yesterday and she has round worms and whip worms. He gave me an 8 month supply of Advance Multi for dogs. I am suppose to apply it to the skin once a month. I applied it yesterday when we got home. How long does it take to start…...
    General Dog Discussions : How to tell if Advance Multi is effectively deworming my dog?...

• How to tell if Advance Multi is effectively deworming my dog?

How to tell if Advance Multi is effectively deworming my dog? General Dog Discussions
      Took my vet to the vet yesterday and she has round worms and whip worms. He gave me an 8 month supply of Advance Multi for dogs. I am suppose to apply it to the skin once a month. I applied it yesterday when we got home. How long does it take to start killing them? How will I know if it is working?

How to tell if Advance Multi is effectively deworming my dog? General Dog Discussions
    • Advantage Multi will treat both for Roundworms and Whipworms, however it will not be able to kill any larvae that may be migrating/developing so it's usually advised to apply the first dose of Advantage Multi, then give a borad-spectrum de-wormer such as Drontal Plus(tablet) or Fenbendazole(liquid) 2 weeks later to kill any newly developed adults, then give the second dose of Advantage Multi 2 weeks later (1 month from original dose), then continue applying Advantage Multi monthly for the dog's life. It depends on where you live though - some climates allow for fleas and worms to be prevalent all year round and some climates are cold enough during the winter to allow a break period from treating at that time). The way that the medication works it to basically shut down the worms nervous system so that it releases from the dog's internal organs and passes through the GI system and is passed in the feces. The worms MAY still be alive when they are passed so don't panic but they are basically paralyzed and will soon die. Some dogs can have soft stool after a de-worming medication especially if they have a very heavy "wormload". This can be normal but definitely let your vet know if it happens. Every vet is different, BUT there is an organization called the Companion Animal Parasite Council that makes general recommendations for treatment and prevention of parasites in our pets, if you want more information or to discuss with your vet: http://www.capcvet.org/capc-recommendationsEDIT: Sandy, I appreciate your concern in regards to using pesticides, but generally there is very little chance of adverse side effects associated with veterinary flea and worm controls (unless used inappropriately - ie wrong dosing, used on inappropriate species). There is a lot of research put into these products and they have been tested extensively to ensure safety in a variety of ages, breeds, and health conditions. While there are certain things that i do agree are worth investigating a holistic approach to treat, parasites are not one of them! Roundworms especially are very easily passed to humans and you really don't want to be messing around with roots and tinctures hoping that they will work...