can a dog that has been vaccinated from distemper catch it from a infected dog?

I have a 5 month old puppy that has distemper and have to other adult dogs that have been vaccinated around my puppy. So my question is can the other dogs catch distemper from my puppy?

I have a 5 month old puppy that has distemper and have to other adult dogs that have been vaccinated around my puppy. So my question is can the other dogs catch distemper from my puppy?...
    General Dog Discussions : can a dog that has been vaccinated from distemper catch it from a infected dog?...

• can a dog that has been vaccinated from distemper catch it from a infected dog?

can a dog that has been vaccinated from distemper catch it from a infected dog? General Dog Discussions
      I have a 5 month old puppy that has distemper and have to other adult dogs that have been vaccinated around my puppy. So my question is can the other dogs catch distemper from my puppy?

can a dog that has been vaccinated from distemper catch it from a infected dog? General Dog Discussions
    • In a word: YES.Vaccinations are not 100% sure. There is a small percentage that a vaccine will NOT work on who WILL become infected after receiving the vaccine. I found the following at this site:http://www.dogchatforum.com/distemper-dog.htm<quote>How is Canine Distemper contracted?It is contracted primarily through airborne viral particles that the dog breathes in. Infected dogs shed the virus through bodily secretions such as respiratory secretions, and urine and feces excretions. Dogs contract the virus by direct contact with urine, feces, or secretions from infected dogs. Also contact with kennels, bedding, toys, or other objects that may also hold the virus. During the recovery period (which can last several weeks) dogs can still shed the virus even if all symptoms have disappeared. Once fully recovered previously infected dogs no longer shed the virus.What is the treatment for canine Distemper?At this time, there is no cure for the actual virus which causes canine Distemper. Treatment is supportive. That means that your vet will treat the symptoms as they occur. For example the dog may need an intravenous drip if it is dehydrated, or anticonvulsants if it is having seizures. The dog is kept as comfortable as possible with constant nursing in a warm dry draft free area. Prognosis for Canine DistemperCanine Distemper is fatal in over fifty percent of adult dogs who contract the virus and eighty percent of puppies. Death occurs between 2 weeks and 3 months after infection. The main cause of death is from complications to the central nervous system. Many vets will recommend euthanasia when there are progressive incapacitating neurological symptoms.Nervous problems can persist many weeks after the animal has recovered from all other symptoms of the infection. Some dogs appear to recover but may develop chronic or fatal nervous system problems. </quote>You could have found the exact same thing and more using a simple search with keywords using your favorite search engine...

• Distemper and Parvovirus In 1994, Ft. Dodge marketed a new high titer Parvovirus vaccine (RF11). Testing by Dr. Ron Schultz demonstrated that this vaccine and a new high titer vaccine from Immunovet (Proguard) provided much better protection than all other vaccines against canine parvovirus (19,23). When studies by Dr Schultz demonstrated that the new high titer vaccines by Fort Dodge and Intervet were much more effective, Meriel improved their product to match. Pfizer came out with a high titer vaccine, Vanguard puppy. Pfizer and Biocor still market the old vaccines, Vanguard 5 and Biocor. The frustrating experiences we had prior to 1995, with vaccine breaks were largely resolved by the new improved vaccines. Attempts to improve the efficacy by more frequent administration of the vaccine are no longer necessary. According to Dr. Schultz in the Journal of the AVMA Aug. 15. 1995, when a vaccination series given at 2, 3, and 4 months and again at 1 year(>6m0) with a modified live virus, puppies and kittens program memory cells that survive for life, providing lifelong immunity for diseases like Parvo and Distemper.(6, 15, 20, 21,23).Dr. Leland Carmichael at Cornell University and Dr. Schultz have studies showing immunity against challenge at 7 years for canine distemper and 7 years for parvovirus; and immunity by serology out to 15 years for distemper. (22,23 b). Studies for longer duration are pending (5, 13, 14, 15, 18, 22,23 b, 23c.) *A copy of Dr Schultz's study is in our pet care library for your convenience.