What factors do I use to decide if I should put my dog to sleep?

I just found out that my dog has cancerous Lymphoma. He has a mass growing against his esophagus which is pushing it to one side sometimes making it hard for him to breathe. He also has some kind of infection in his lungs which the vet says that we can…

What factors do I use to decide if I should put my dog to sleep?

I just found out that my dog has cancerous Lymphoma. He has a mass growing against his esophagus which is pushing it to one side sometimes making it hard for him to breathe. He also has some kind of infection in his lungs which the vet says that we can…...
    General Dog Discussions : What factors do I use to decide if I should put my dog to sleep?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I have Been A breeder For 50 years ,I Bred , showed and trained German Shepherd. There is probably no one who hates any more than me to be faced with this decision.I have spent thousands trying to save a single dog only to see it waste away. It took me many years to decide that when their Quality of life was such that they were in pain and no treatment could be given for improvement, I would go and have a talk with my vet and together we would make the decision. I found that most vets will be completely honest with you when there is no chance for your dog. I have had to face this Twice in the last five years.If your pets quality of life has deteriorated to the point of no chance,they are in pain that cant be alleviated , it is my opinion that the choice should be made.My sympathy goes out to you.

• First of all I am sorry you are going through this with your dog. I just in October had to put my almost 16 (!) year old Pit bull to sleep. I had him since he was 8 weeks old, it was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. People told me that I would know when the time was right, that he would let me know and he did.I am sure your dog will do the same.Things that helped me to decide is that he no longer enjoyed some of the things he always enjoyed, in my/his case it was checking out the property daily to see what sort of creatures had "trespassed" overnight.He had also started losing weight and didn't really want to eat anymore, at the end I was cooking Chicken and other things for him trying to get him to eatHe started having trouble walking and laying down.Towards the end he did not walk much, just enough to do his businessMy dog did not have a disease or cancer so I held out so much hope that he would improve, but the bad days started outweighing the good ones by far , and one day he just looked so tired and sad, I knew it was just a matter of time.It is a selfless gift that we can give our beloved animals, we can release them from their pain and take it on ourself..As long as your dog is not in great discomfort and goes about his day normally and how it is to be expected from a dog his age I think he is okay, keep in mind though that he has a terminal disease and that once he starts going downhill he is most likely not going to improve.So a day too early is always better than a day too lateI am very sorry you are facing this and I am sending you strength for the future.

• Im sorry to tell you but the best thing to do is to put him to sleep, I know it is hard. But you can try chemo therapy which is very costly and only give him a little more time. Im positive your dog is in pain, and the cancer will spread. You gave him a long happy life now its time to let him go !

• The only thing you can do is watch how your friend is acting. He is your friend and your pet both. As long as he doesn't seem to be suffering I would enjoy what time you have left. When it looks like he needs to be let go, you'll be able to tell.Just watch his behavior and his eyes.

• There can be several factors to keep in consideration in order to make such a hurtful decision, but, IMO, I think the main one is regarding the quality of life it has: if there's no more quality of life, then it's time to let it go. It's counting on you to do what it's best for it.I'll pray to God to give you the strength to accept His Will, whichever it may be!

• I have been a vet tech for years. Sometimes, the nicest thing you can do is to let go. I myself have had to face euthanizing one of my dogs. I will tell you how I made my decision and what I usually tell our clients.My advice is based on experience and my personal opinions. I want to start by saying that I believe that when the time is "right," euthanasia is humane. I believe you should weigh the "good" days and the "bad" days. Once the bad out number the good, it is time to let go. I myself, try to put myself in the pets position, I ask myself if I would want to live if I were having the same problems. Because of the emotional attachment, we tend to "hold on" to our pets. That is understandable and it really is OK. However, your main concern, in my opinion, is your pets comfort. Once your pets quality of life is no longer a good one, allow the suffering to stop. Again, as long as the good days out weigh the bad then it can be assumed that your dog is relatively comfortable. In addition, if your doggie stops responding to you in his "normal" manner, then take that as a sign that he is possibly in pain. Many people think that if a dog is in pain, then it will whine. NOT SO...most dogs suffer in silence. Only their actions change. If you decide, that your boy is still having far more good days than bad, then make sure you put him on the antibiotics...they will make his life easier.As the cancer takes over, he will have more difficulties. All dogs that are at the end of their life, whether it is due to old age or illness, will have days that they "rally." On these days, they act just as if nothing is wrong. They will be happy and active. These days make the "decision" the hardest.Although this is a very long-winded, I do have a point. Unfortunately, in the end, this is your decision. YOU know your dog and his "normal" personality. Put yourself in his paws, when you know you could no longer have a good quality of life, then why make him?I am sorry you have to make this decision. Just hold your memories close to your heart. Know you gave your boy 13 terrific years...that REALLY is something!

• When quality of life isn't there, that's when you have to make the decision. Oh it's so hard.....When you know that he's no longer happy, in pain, and unable to continue with constant discomfort. I think that's when you have to do it. My heart goes out to you, I just wish to God that dogs lived as long as birds or something so we could be with them more. It's just way too short.