What will happen if they give a dog rabies vacine and he has rabies?

A woman gave me a small chihuahua mix but he had never been to the vet. She told me he was five months but my vet thinks he is a bit younger. Anyway he now has his nessicary shots including rabies. Basically what will happen if he has already been…

A woman gave me a small chihuahua mix but he had never been to the vet. She told me he was five months but my vet thinks he is a bit younger. Anyway he now has his nessicary shots including rabies. Basically what will happen if he has already been…...
    General Dog Discussions : What will happen if they give a dog rabies vacine and he has rabies?...

• What will happen if they give a dog rabies vacine and he has rabies?

What will happen if they give a dog rabies vacine and he has rabies? General Dog Discussions
      A woman gave me a small chihuahua mix but he had never been to the vet. She told me he was five months but my vet thinks he is a bit younger. Anyway he now has his nessicary shots including rabies. Basically what will happen if he has already been exposed? Will the shot make it appear faster? I know it can be dormant for many months. I am concerned because he scratches my 2 year old daughter on the face.

What will happen if they give a dog rabies vacine and he has rabies? General Dog Discussions
    • I can understand your concern and you should definitely talk to your vet and pediatrician about this. But despite the surprising number of unvaccinated dogs, there are only about 80 cases a year of rabies in dogs in the entire US. So if this puppy has no known exposure the likelihood of rabies is really amazingly small.My bigger concern is that you have a dog that has been allowed to scratch your 2year old. And a 2 year old who has been allowed to interact with a dog without appropriate supervision. Please stop this situation.

• "I know it can be dormant for many months"If he is in the contagious stage, he will die within about 10 days, giving you plenty of time to get treatment for your daughter. Prior to that, he's not contagious.The chances of his having rabies approaches zero. He would have to have been bitten by a rabid animal, and it is highly unlikely a little Chi X was anywhere near a rabid animal. A vaccine would not have any effect.