How do I tell if my dogs milk has come in?

My dog had pups 2 days ago by c-section. The vet gave her a shot to help her milk come in because at the time she had none he said. We have bottle fed every 3 hours but in between the pups are trying to nurse on mama. How can I tell if they are…

My dog had pups 2 days ago by c-section. The vet gave her a shot to help her milk come in because at the time she had none he said. We have bottle fed every 3 hours but in between the pups are trying to nurse on mama. How can I tell if they are…...
    General Dog Discussions : How do I tell if my dogs milk has come in?...

• How do I tell if my dogs milk has come in?

How do I tell if my dogs milk has come in? General Dog Discussions
      My dog had pups 2 days ago by c-section. The vet gave her a shot to help her milk come in because at the time she had none he said. We have bottle fed every 3 hours but in between the pups are trying to nurse on mama. How can I tell if they are getting anything?

How do I tell if my dogs milk has come in? General Dog Discussions
    • Try squeezing her nipples gently to see if there is any milk coming from them if their is none contact your vet right away so he can give momma dog and pups a thorough exam to see if anything is wrong. True milk comes in after 1-2 days after giving birth. The colostrum which is the first milk type that they receive since it contains antibodies that will protect them from everything that she has been vaccinated against until they are fully weaned between 6-8 weeks. It is gong to be very costly if you have to bottle feed all of those puppies just because momma dog can not produce milk, so in case their is no way to stimulate her milk production stock up on puppy formula and have a few spare bottles handy.

• You need to hand express her teats.To help with milk production you can give her 1 egg1/3 can of evaporated milk1 dab of honey or corn syrupa bit of waterscramble together and give it to her twice a dayI did this for my girl after her c-section in June as she was not producing any milk .. in no time she had plenty for her 6 pupsGood luck