How can I get my cat to go in the litter box?

My cat is having problems using the litter box again. This has happened once before but the problem went away. Now it is back and my is family adamant on getting rid of her this time. Is there anyway we can help remedy this? She was our first cat and I…

My cat is having problems using the litter box again. This has happened once before but the problem went away. Now it is back and my is family adamant on getting rid of her this time. Is there anyway we can help remedy this? She was our first cat and I…...
    General Dog Discussions : How can I get my cat to go in the litter box?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How can I get my cat to go in the litter box?

How can I get my cat to go in the litter box? General Dog Discussions
      My cat is having problems using the litter box again. This has happened once before but the problem went away. Now it is back and my is family adamant on getting rid of her this time. Is there anyway we can help remedy this? She was our first cat and I don't like the idea of getting rid of a cat without trying to help them just because your are frustrated.She doesn't just go in one place but does it all over the house and we have two different litter boxes for her.

How can I get my cat to go in the litter box? General Dog Discussions
    • Try using a different kind of litter. Cats use the litter box because of how it smell the cleanest to them. They go in the cleanest area. Which typically cats prefer a clean litter box than the smell of febreeze on the carpet or furniture.

• 1) Pain or illness can cause a cat to stop using the litter box. Cats are very adept at hiding illness, so if your cat is having litter box problems then the first thing you need to do is take the cat to a vet for a medical exam. 2) If you aren't scooping the waste out of the litter every day then you need to start and start now. 3) Perfumes or other odors can drive your cat away from the litter box. Scented litters are unacceptable to many cats, and the leftover scent from a cleaning product could also be a problem. Get rid of the perfumes, and scrub those cleaners away before giving the box back to the cat. Remember that cats have an acute sense of smell. 4) Your cat may feel vulnerable when in the litter box. Is it in a noisy location (such as next to the washing machine)? Is it secure from little marauders like dogs and children, or even other cats? If the box is not semi-private, move it to a better location.5)The type of box could also be a problem. If the box has a cover, try removing it.6) Anxiety can lead to litter box lapses. Did some event scare your cat? This could be anything from a new couch to a new cat or even a new person in the house. If you suspect anxiety, confine the cat to a safe and secure place (maybe a bed room) until the anxiety has passed. Cats seem to hang on to their emotions, so the anxiety could last much longer than the actual event. No need to rush, leave that safe haven available to the cat for as long as possible.7) If you have multiple cats, chances are you'll need multiple boxes, maybe even with different materials in them. There is one more important distinction that you'll need to make. Is the cat refusing to use the litter box, or is the cat spraying? Spraying is a territorial behavior and has nothing to do with disliking the box.Correcting the Problem The key to solving elimination problems is to make the litter box more attractive, and the area where the cat is soiling instead, unattractive. Sometimes, just cleaning the litter box more frequently or changing its location will correct the problem. Other times, you may need to experiment with different combinations of location and kitty litter to find a solution. You may even want to offer your cat the choice of several different boxes, each with different kinds of litter, to see which he or she prefers. At the same time, you must break the cat's habit of soiling in the new location. Be sure to clean the soiled area thoroughly with a pet odor remover to get rid of any urine scent -- or your cat may be attracted back to the same spot. It's important to keep the cat away from the area. Try covering the spot with carpet runner, prickly side up, or use a device that delivers a harmless static shock or that produces a loud noise when the cat comes near, to help redirect kitty to his litter box. Adding a room deodorizer with a scent the cat finds offensive - such as a strong citrus or floral - can also keep the cat away from the area. When to See the Vet If your cat continues to eliminate outside of the litter box, a trip to the vet is in order to check for health problems. No behavior techniques will help a cat with a problem that requires the attention of a veterinarian. Urinary tract infections are a common cause of litter box problems, which your pet's doctor can diagnose and treat. A urinalysis can also rule out diabetes. Other conditions that may affect elimination behavior include arthritis - which makes is painful to climb in and out of the box - and constipation.Always scoop litter boxes at LEAST once a day, and change the litter at least once a week. When cleaning the box, use a mild detergent and finish by rinsing very thoroughly. Never use strong-smelling pine cleansers or ammonia. If you want to disinfect the box with bleach, dilute it with water first. Rinsing the box with boiling water is also effective. With covered cat boxes, the smell can be worse, especially with high humidity, so you must be willing to clean it more.

• cats will not use the litter box if they are stressed. if your cat did this once before and then it just stopped.....she didnt just stop for no reason...it stopped because whatever was going on in the household that stressed her out changed. sometimes seeing a stray cat through the window blinds will cause kitty to be stressed out and start peeing or pooping to make a stand on her territory. a new dog to the household, cat, human baby, workers in the house, changed the location of her box, changed the furniture around, you name it and this could be your source of her stress. youll have to give it some thought as to "what changed?"however not using the box is a sign of a serious illness as well. maybe time to see the doctor. a simple urinary tract infection will cause kitty to pee somewheres other than the box because they think the box is whats hurting them. get an antibiotic from vet and the problem will go away.

• First and foremost you have to keep the litter box clean. Secondly I do not use the clumping litters as they are expensive and some people think you do not have to change them that is dumb because the urine odor and bacteria is still there. Try a different litter my litter of choice since I have several indoor only kitties is Exquiscat from PetSmart as it is a very good quality litter and works as well as Fresh Step but is a lot cheaper. Also, if a cat uses a litter box and you are doing all of the above and then they suddenly quit using the litter box then it is time for a vet visit as that is the only way your kitty has of telling you that something is wrong such as a urinary tract infection or something of that sort. Hope this helps.