What dosage of Hawthorn can dogs be given?

I was wondering if anyone has ever given their dog hawthorn. We just found out yesterday that our puppy has a heart murmur and I was looking online that Hawthorn can help slow down her heart rate and irregular beats. Does anyone know how much Hawthorn I…

I was wondering if anyone has ever given their dog hawthorn. We just found out yesterday that our puppy has a heart murmur and I was looking online that Hawthorn can help slow down her heart rate and irregular beats. Does anyone know how much Hawthorn I…...
    General Dog Discussions : What dosage of Hawthorn can dogs be given?...

• What dosage of Hawthorn can dogs be given?

What dosage of Hawthorn can dogs be given? General Dog Discussions
      I was wondering if anyone has ever given their dog hawthorn. We just found out yesterday that our puppy has a heart murmur and I was looking online that Hawthorn can help slow down her heart rate and irregular beats. Does anyone know how much Hawthorn I should give her? I bought a bottle from GNC. They are tablets with 150mg (2% vitexin)Any advise would be great even if you can just point me in the right direction. Thanks!

What dosage of Hawthorn can dogs be given? General Dog Discussions
    • I don't know,but if your vet has put the puppy on any medication,you need to ask,because hawthorn will interact with some of them.Here is a tonic that is supposed to help with heart murmurs.CoQ -10 and salmon oil are great for the heart as well and are safe to give with most medications. I would give the puppy up to 100 mg.of CoQ -10 twice a day,and one1000 mg softgel of salmon oil tiwice a day as well.http://www.enaturalremedies.com/pet-remedies/pet-faqs/heart%20and%20circulation-faq.htm

• http://www.care2.com/greenliving/early-heart-disease-in-dogs.htmlBy Donna Kelleher, D.V.M., Natural SolutionsIf your dog has been diagnosed with early heart disease, there are alternative approaches to medication that might help. If your dog is in the early stages of this disease, naturopathic treatments are likely to be very effective. (If the disease had progressed further, I’d recommend going with your vet’s recommendations for conventional drugs.)A homemade whole-foods diet can be very helpful, as can various supplements that support the heart and circulatory system. Introduce these substances one at a time, eventually working up to giving your dog daily doses of all of them: a half clove of fresh garlic; 200 mg of magnesium; 500 mg of calcium citrate; 500 mg each of the amino acids carnitine and taurine; 1,000 mg of fish oil; 180 mg of coenzyme Q10; and 200 IU of vitamin E. (These doses are for a 50- to 70-pound dog; reduce them proportionally if yours is smaller.)The herb hawthorn can lower blood pressure, if that’s desired, but it may take six to eight weeks to work, and should not be given with glycoside drugs like digitalis. Motherwort and ginkgo biloba have both long been used as blood tonics. If your vet approves, give your dog 50 mg of either per 10 pounds of body weight.You should run this by your vet or contact a naturopathic vet ( http://www.ahvma.org/ )