How can I improve the health of a feral kitten?

A feral kitten followed my dog into the house out of the freezing rain yesterday. He is VERY skinny and fond of ricotta cheese. He likes Purina One cat food but won't touch his Purina One kitten food unless I smear ricotta cheese on it. I can't put him…

A feral kitten followed my dog into the house out of the freezing rain yesterday. He is VERY skinny and fond of ricotta cheese. He likes Purina One cat food but won't touch his Purina One kitten food unless I smear ricotta cheese on it. I can't put him…...
    General Dog Discussions : How can I improve the health of a feral kitten?...

• How can I improve the health of a feral kitten?

How can I improve the health of a feral kitten? General Dog Discussions
      A feral kitten followed my dog into the house out of the freezing rain yesterday. He is VERY skinny and fond of ricotta cheese. He likes Purina One cat food but won't touch his Purina One kitten food unless I smear ricotta cheese on it. I can't put him in a room by himself because he completely flips and has to have company 24/7. I've given him something for the fleas and ear mites, tomorrow he will be wormed. Any advice on nutrition?

How can I improve the health of a feral kitten? General Dog Discussions
    • Try to give him wet food. I had a feral cat around my house and gave her bologna. Now you wouldn't be able to tell the difference because she's so lovable and sweet. Though, when I say wet food I mean the canned cat stuff like shredded chicken or turkey etc. XD

• Canned cat food will supply what the kitten needs better than dry food. The canned food contains moisture that is so important for cats as they usually don't drink enough water. No milk or milk products.

• He probably flips out in 'captivity' since that is new to him. He simply needs some TLC and he will calm down. Taming is fairly simple, depending exactly on his age. And I hope the deworming is through a vet product, not OTC.Most cats are suckers for Fancy Feast, which is also known as kitty krack. But at least he is getting some kitten chow. Probably the amount of cheese you are adding isn't enough to cause him problems, as most kittens, once weaned, become lactose intolerant.With a feral cat that had a hard time getting food, often they eat as there is no tomorrow. But calm down once they understand that food will always be available.Thank you for caring.