How can I keep my dog from scratching a cut?

I have 2 cocker spaniels who play a little rough sometimes, and one got a cut on the side of his face, below his ear. Whenever he scratches he opens the cut and bleeds a little. It's not a big cut right now, but I'm worried if he doesn't stop scratching…

I have 2 cocker spaniels who play a little rough sometimes, and one got a cut on the side of his face, below his ear. Whenever he scratches he opens the cut and bleeds a little. It's not a big cut right now, but I'm worried if he doesn't stop scratching…...
    General Dog Discussions : How can I keep my dog from scratching a cut?...

• How can I keep my dog from scratching a cut?

How can I keep my dog from scratching a cut? General Dog Discussions
      I have 2 cocker spaniels who play a little rough sometimes, and one got a cut on the side of his face, below his ear. Whenever he scratches he opens the cut and bleeds a little. It's not a big cut right now, but I'm worried if he doesn't stop scratching I'll have to take him to the vet. Short of putting a cone around his head, is there any other way to stop him from scratching his cut so much?

How can I keep my dog from scratching a cut? General Dog Discussions
    • If it is a wound that is itchy, you may want to consider giving your dog some Benadryl. Vets recommend this often. If the wound does not heal within a week, or begins to get worse, call your vet. Pour the HP on the wound, or dab it on with a cotton ball. If your dog licks at it a little, don't worry about it. It won't hurt them. Apply numerous times a day as needed. Just be sure to keep the hair clipped back until the wound is beginning to heal (don't worry, it will grow back). Whenever your dog goes outside, clean the wound as soon as they come back in, and reapply the HP. Keeping dirt out of the problem area is key.

• take him to the vet, my dog has just had an aural heamatoma due to scratching and it was very costly and painful for dog to put right, so dont ignore it get it sorted