Can I give my dog this to make him sleep? Does anyone else do it?

Ok, my dog freaks at the fireworks and runs away sometimes.Will it be Ok to give him some Benadryl to make him sleep? Or is that bad for him? It's Children's Benadryl, for Allergies. Cherry flavored.To Tryin' Again-I don't have a crate, and I don't have…

Ok, my dog freaks at the fireworks and runs away sometimes.Will it be Ok to give him some Benadryl to make him sleep? Or is that bad for him? It's Children's Benadryl, for Allergies. Cherry flavored.To Tryin' Again-I don't have a crate, and I don't have…...
    General Dog Discussions : Can I give my dog this to make him sleep? Does anyone else do it?...

• Can I give my dog this to make him sleep? Does anyone else do it?

Can I give my dog this to make him sleep? Does anyone else do it? General Dog Discussions
      Ok, my dog freaks at the fireworks and runs away sometimes.Will it be Ok to give him some Benadryl to make him sleep? Or is that bad for him? It's Children's Benadryl, for Allergies. Cherry flavored.To Tryin' Again-I don't have a crate, and I don't have a damm dog. I have a wonderful dog.

Can I give my dog this to make him sleep? Does anyone else do it? General Dog Discussions
    • Yes, Benadryl is o.k to give to your dog, Our vet says that we can give her two regular benadryl's...but shes 92 lbs. contact your vet to see what the best dose for your dog is..To all this superior acting morons, who said that giving your dog benadryl wouldn't work and is wrong....your idiotsBenadryl has always helped my dog to stay calm in what could otherwise be a dangerous situation....dogs can bite or harm themselves or worse if they are scared.You NOT a horrible dog owner if you want to keep your dog safe in a bad situation...what is irresponsible is to not do anything and let something happen to your dog.Think People- geesh

• I've heard of it being done before. It will be ok. The vet has told me before to give my dog children's tylenol, you could try that. But, it would be hard to explain to the vet why your dog is sick if something does go wrong!

• Talk to your vet but our vet told us to use it while we traveled with them.1mg per pound.....my dog could have 2 tabs but I only gave her onewe used the childrens benedryl cherry flavored.

• If i remember correctly you can give a dog 1mg per lb they weigh. So a 5lb dog would get 5mg. Call up you vet and just ask. They will tell you over the phone without charging you. As for the childrens benedryl its 12.5mg per 5ml so you would have to dose it accordingly. How much does your dog weigh?

• It's fine. Just when giving him the dosage make sure to take into account his weight vs. how much you give him. For instance a 80 lb kid's dose for an 80 lb dog. I've been giving my dog benadryl but it's b/c it's the time of year he gets skin allergies.

• You could, but they really don't need the antihistamine. It would be better to give them melatonin, Pet Eze or Rescue Remedy, which are meant for calming. I give my dogs Pet-Eze, available at Petsmart, for fireworks and it works great.

• You have to be careful what kind of human meds you give to you dog. There are some that you can but in very low doses. Some vets will tell you over the phone some things that can help. My friend's dog has to take ani anxiety meds around the 4th of July or when being left alone. I think it's going a little too far unless the dog is so stressed that it's causing harm to their health. My one dog doesn't like fireworks so we keep her in a quiet room and turn on the tv (usually Animal Planet) and keep her in there until they're over. Or we just make sure we stay by her to sooth her. Bottom line, ask the vet before giving any meds! :)