Can I give my dog this to make him sleep? Does anyone else do it?

Ok, my dog freaks at the fireworks and runs away sometimes.Will it be Ok to give him some Benadryl to make him sleep? Or is that bad for him? It's Children's Benadryl, for Allergies. Cherry flavored.To Tryin' Again-I don't have a crate, and I don't have…

Can I give my dog this to make him sleep? Does anyone else do it?

Ok, my dog freaks at the fireworks and runs away sometimes.Will it be Ok to give him some Benadryl to make him sleep? Or is that bad for him? It's Children's Benadryl, for Allergies. Cherry flavored.To Tryin' Again-I don't have a crate, and I don't have…...
    General Dog Discussions : Can I give my dog this to make him sleep? Does anyone else do it?...

• In response to one answer here, about giving baby tylenol DON"T. ACETAMINOPHEN is poisonous to dogs. Your vet can prescribe something to help your dog that is geared to animals. My dog has something from his vet that helps. Also there are natural products that can help sold in pet stores. Please don't dope your dog without knowing exactly what the ramifications could be.

• No,only the put to sleep and never come back awake again is the vet,giving pet medicine or tablets could kill them,if he is that scared he runs away keep all door locked and let him have a blanket and some chew toys,keep him locked in a room and you are going out then I suggest:put newspaper down in the locked room in case he wees on the floor but make sure first you have air freshener to spray when you get back in case he has weed.oh,and make sure he has lots of toys too!=]no Benadryl could kill your dog.

• Here I'll answer based on the others and cause i have a large dog and a puny dog. The difference In human and animal meds is dosage. If the user who replied to you said they give their 92lb dog two regular then for the sake of argument lets say the following90lb dog (25-30 miligrams)45lbd dog ( 20 miligrams)25lbd dog ( 10 miligrams)15 and under (5 miligrams)my cat once got pecked at in the eye and she would have had to goto the vet but i gave her human eye drops for infections.... she was fineWhen i brought my dog home for the first time and she was fixed at the time I applied benedryl cream and alternated to neosporin too and cut healed quicker and they were fine

• I would try to find a different approach to the problem. I don't think drugging him is the solution, specially we don't know how this can hurt him. In Canada our government has decided to take off the shelves all children medicine syrup for cold and allergies, they were judged harmful. Keep him inside all night, don't be nervous cause he will feed on your anxiety, if you have to leave him home alone then leave the tv on and a couple of things that will make him feel secure like one of your sweater. We worry so much about them don't we!

• Yes you can. You can also talk to your vet about a mild sedative called 'Ace'. I rescued a terrier mix that was blind and thunderstorms made her loose control of herself and shake horribly. The Ace worked with her. But it helped a lot if I held her. The thing is, most trainers will tell you not to feed into this fear but I feel if it helps calm the dog why make them go through hell?

• i wouldnt reccomend this if you need him to relax then i believe there are meds for this purpose at pet stores but at the same time giving the dog meds would sound like your drugging your dog, i would strongly reccomend crating your dog, if you dont have a crate please consider taking a trip to a petstore.also if you are leaving home is there a chance you could maybe leave the dog home or is it too far?