What is the best food for my greyhound?

He's a recently retired racer. He's been on proplan by purina for about a month now and he's adjusted to it a bit but he still has pretty bad gas and when he "goes" its still pretty loose sometimes. He's on a feeding schedule, so he gets about 1 1/4 cup…

He's a recently retired racer. He's been on proplan by purina for about a month now and he's adjusted to it a bit but he still has pretty bad gas and when he "goes" its still pretty loose sometimes. He's on a feeding schedule, so he gets about 1 1/4 cup…...
    General Dog Discussions : What is the best food for my greyhound?...

• What is the best food for my greyhound?

What is the best food for my greyhound? General Dog Discussions
      He's a recently retired racer. He's been on proplan by purina for about a month now and he's adjusted to it a bit but he still has pretty bad gas and when he "goes" its still pretty loose sometimes. He's on a feeding schedule, so he gets about 1 1/4 cup three times a day. He's been to the vet recently and he's doing great other then he's just a touch underweight for his size. Do we need to adjust how we are feeding him or do we need to try another food? And if we need to try another food then what is something semi economical that we can try. Right now we spend about $30 for a 35lb. bag and that's about our limit. We have 3 other pets that we have to feed also.

What is the best food for my greyhound? General Dog Discussions
    • There really isn't any "best" food for any dog, however there are many very good foods out there, you simply have to recognize good ingredients when you see them and know what makes a good food and what doesn't.Purina products require you to feed almost twice as much as some of the better quality kibbles, so the monetary equivalency is pretty much the same. In other words, the amount you are now feeding of the Purina would be half that amount with, say, Blue or Canidae even though the actual price you pay is more. I pretty much balances out when you realize this.Look for dog food that shows a pure protein as the first ingredient, such as lamb, beef, venison, salmon, etc...not chicken. It should contain no corn, wheat, soy, by-products or chicken. Compare the amount necessary for your size dog between a food you like the sounds of, and the feeding amount necessary on the Purina product you are currently using.If you change foods, do it over a 5 to 7 day period, slowly, so it doesn't upset your dogs digestion any further.Good luck, and thanks for being a rescue angel for a retired Gray........they are such great dogs.