my 1 year old pitbull swallowed a small stuffed teddy bear...is it necessary for me to take him to the vet?

he weighs about 35-45lbs and the teddy bear he swallowed is about the size of a mans palm (not including fingers). will he be able to defecate it or is surgery needed? If surgery is needed, about how much would the surgery cost.

my 1 year old pitbull swallowed a small stuffed teddy bear...is it necessary for me to take him to the vet?

he weighs about 35-45lbs and the teddy bear he swallowed is about the size of a mans palm (not including fingers). will he be able to defecate it or is surgery needed? If surgery is needed, about how much would the surgery cost....
    General Dog Discussions : my 1 year old pitbull swallowed a small stuffed teddy bear...is it necessary for me to take him to the vet?...

• my 1 year old pitbull swallowed a small stuffed teddy bear...is it necessary for me to take him to the vet?

my 1 year old pitbull swallowed a small stuffed teddy bear...is it necessary for me to take him to the vet? General Dog Discussions
      he weighs about 35-45lbs and the teddy bear he swallowed is about the size of a mans palm (not including fingers). will he be able to defecate it or is surgery needed? If surgery is needed, about how much would the surgery cost.

my 1 year old pitbull swallowed a small stuffed teddy bear...is it necessary for me to take him to the vet? General Dog Discussions
    • How long ago did it happen? If Pooch becomes ill with symptoms of straining when attempting to defecate, crying when attempting to defecate, UNABLE to defecate, loss of appetite, vomiting after eating, lethargy or any other out of ordinary symptoms then yes, its time for the vet. I had a doberman as a teen and after having ears n tail clipped he had booties on his feet (baby socks).He swallowed 3 of them and surgery was required to remove them. I would AT LEAST take him to the vet for a visit. Its usually 29-55 for an office visit to get guidance and an outline or estimate of treatment. Perhaps there is something they could recommend you do or give him to help digestion. I am not a veterinarian, nor are most people on here and we speak from experience only. Its best to not wait until its too late, just take him and see what doc says.

• Yes Peter you will most likely have to pay for surgery on the dog. Different vets, different areas, different prices. But regardless how much it cost you the dog will no doubt have a bowel obstruction and have to have surgery. Get the dog to a vet sooner rather than later.