7 Month Old APBT puppy...?

My baby boy JUST turned 7 Months old today. He is an American Pit Bull Terrier His father weighs 80lbs and is big all the way around, while his mother is 55lbs and on the petite side. My boy currently weighs between 49-51lbs, he isnt chubby or…

My baby boy JUST turned 7 Months old today. He is an American Pit Bull Terrier His father weighs 80lbs and is big all the way around, while his mother is 55lbs and on the petite side. My boy currently weighs between 49-51lbs, he isnt chubby or…...
    General Dog Discussions : 7 Month Old APBT puppy...?...

• 7 Month Old APBT puppy...?

7 Month Old APBT puppy...? General Dog Discussions
      My baby boy JUST turned 7 Months old today. He is an American Pit Bull Terrier His father weighs 80lbs and is big all the way around, while his mother is 55lbs and on the petite side. My boy currently weighs between 49-51lbs, he isnt chubby or skinny....but he also doesn't really have that much muscle showing, and he goes for walks daily, plays with his flirt pole roughly 20mins a day and runs around and does puppy stuff inside and out along with being chased by my cat and rough housing with me, his best friend mini doxie and other various dogs. Vet gave him an excellent bill of health last time when he got neutered. He is only 22inches from butt to neck and 19inches tall...He has big paws though. Do you think my pup is normal height weight and length for that age of APBT? I mean I love him just the same, I am just curious because I work at a shelter, where we take in lots of pit bulls, and my favorite one and 9 month old pit bull was pretty muscly and was a good height probably only weighing about 45lbs. Thoughts?Thanks for all the great answers. Im just curious and because he is going to go into Dock diving competitions this summer AND getting his therapy dog degree ;) Gotta put an end to those pit bull myths.just an FYI to Greek God AKA Greekman pure APBT''s can be anywhere from 25lbs-110lbs even though 110lbs are rare. My boys dad is a pure bred, and his mom is as well. And his dads mom was a am pit to. NOT a bully, bull dog, boxer, mastiff, am staff, stafforshire, bull terrier, or anything else. I know my dog breeds thanks.

7 Month Old APBT puppy...? General Dog Discussions
    • Some dogs do not grow up to be as big as their parents. If the vet gave you an all clear and if ur Pitbull is doing all the normal stuff that a dog should be doing then youbdont need to worry. I think he is normal for that age :)

• Some more muscling will probably develop as he gets older. For a larger breed dog, he's still immature. Think of the gawky stage some teenaged boys go through, and he still hasn't completely worked out of it yet.Also, the type of exercise he does will add his muscle - pullers tend to build up more in their chests, while agility runners tend to develop more evenly, and with more towards the back end for jumping and leaping.

• With all the interbreeding of dogs you never know how big or little a dog is going to be. If the vet said he's healthy then that's all that matters. Being that he weighs that much at only 7months, he will prob get up to 70 to 80+lbs. Hard to say.

• Sure, you own a mutt, an all American mutt. No APBT weighs 80 pounds unless grossly obese, therefore the dog's father is not an APBT...maybe one of those bullies.ADD:Desirable weight for a mature male in good condition is between 35 and 60 pounds. Desirable weight for a mature female in good condition is between 30 and 50 pounds.As a general and approximate guideline only, the desirable height range for mature males is from 18 to 21 inches at the withers; for mature females it is from 17 to 20 inches at the withers.It is important to note that dogs over or under these weight and height ranges are not to be penalized unless they are disproportionately massive or rangy.Very Serious Fault: Excessively large or overly massive dogs and dogs with a height and/or weight so far from what is desired as to compromise health, structure, movement and physical ability.I guess you know your breed well enough to NOT know or pay attention to important things like standards...gotcha..Where in there does it say 110 lbs? Have you ever even seen a REAL APBT?Go google Tom Garner, the ONLY person worth speaking of when it comes to APBT's and go look at his dogs...see how much they look like yours. Oh, you welcome.

• You probably have an american Bully not an american pit bull terrier. The 2 are often confused from one another. APBT do not get to 80 + lbs. and are not bulging with muscle. He could very well be a cross between an APBT (the mother) and a American Bully (the father). Without seeing a photo its kind of hard to tell. Go online and look at the difference in the American Bully vs APBT. There is obvious differences between them.