dog urinary incontinence treatment?

My dog started having an incontinence problem awhile ago. When I let her outside to pee she would and then would continue to dribble for a few feet as she came back to the house. Recently I noticed she would leak large puddles while she was asleep and…

My dog started having an incontinence problem awhile ago. When I let her outside to pee she would and then would continue to dribble for a few feet as she came back to the house. Recently I noticed she would leak large puddles while she was asleep and…...
    General Dog Discussions : dog urinary incontinence treatment?...

• dog urinary incontinence treatment?

dog urinary incontinence treatment? General Dog Discussions
      My dog started having an incontinence problem awhile ago. When I let her outside to pee she would and then would continue to dribble for a few feet as she came back to the house. Recently I noticed she would leak large puddles while she was asleep and would wake up with her rear leg soaked. I found out from a friend that you can get some cheap pills from the vet that would help her. So I went to the vet today and got a bottle of Phenylpropanolamine 50mg tablets. I am supposed to give her one twice a day and they cost me $60 for 50 pills. She is 55lbs. I am curious if other people that have this problem with their dog, if they have the same treatment. How many pills do you have to give a day to your dog and how big is your dog? Also, how much does a bottle cost you? I heard some people only pay $6-20 online for a month supply so am I getting charged too much?

dog urinary incontinence treatment? General Dog Discussions
    • You need to call the vet that prescribed them and ask them. They should have told you the dosage in the first place. Don't take veterinary medical advice from strangers on the internet. It can be detrimental to your dog if someone gives you the wrong advice.

• I've had great like with the PPA. I don't remember the dosage info unfortunately. You might want to try shopping around for the scrip though... http://www.petrx.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=468At 100mg per day a 15 day supply will cost you about $10.

• Where I've worked, we treat with either Proin (PPA) or DES (a female hormone). Your vet should be giving you the correct dosage (I believe it's about 1 or 2 milligrams per kilogram of body weight, with a kilogram being 2.2 pounds, twice a day).Your vet should also be willing to give you a script to use at an online pharmacy if you want to, or match the price.