Will My American Bulldog gorw out of his allergies?

We have it pretty much narrowed down to laundry detergent and pollen. I have to give him a Benadryl every evening in order to keep him from breaking out in hives! He is almost 8 months old and a VERY solid and healthy 65lbs. He is on the most Hollistic…

We have it pretty much narrowed down to laundry detergent and pollen. I have to give him a Benadryl every evening in order to keep him from breaking out in hives! He is almost 8 months old and a VERY solid and healthy 65lbs. He is on the most Hollistic…...
    General Dog Discussions : Will My American Bulldog gorw out of his allergies?...

• Will My American Bulldog gorw out of his allergies?

Will My American Bulldog gorw out of his allergies? General Dog Discussions
      We have it pretty much narrowed down to laundry detergent and pollen. I have to give him a Benadryl every evening in order to keep him from breaking out in hives! He is almost 8 months old and a VERY solid and healthy 65lbs. He is on the most Hollistic no wheat, no corn, no soy dog food we can buy! The breeder keeps saying that he will grow out of his allergies and to slowly wean him off the Benadryl...But one or two days with no Benadryl and he breaks out in hives under his arm pits and around his belly. Does anyone think he'll grow out of his allergies? Has anyone ever heard of that happening?I feed the hollistic food and supplement with raw meat. He gets raw chicken and raw beef. I dont agree with the Benadryl being crap at all! When given a daily dose of it he has no problems whatsoever! If a single Benadryl a day is what is needed to keep him allergy free, then thats what I'll do! Besides he eats them! Like a treat! Odly enough he loves them!

Will My American Bulldog gorw out of his allergies? General Dog Discussions
    • They won't grow out of allergies. Every dog I've ever had with allergies got more sensitive with age, not better. Keep up the treatment and perhaps consult with a veterinary dermatologist to get the bottom of your dog's allergies.

• My 10 year old beagle has the same thing, she got it around when she was about 4 and it has yet to go away. and I give her Benadryl as well to keep it under control. I know exactly how you feel and sorry to say, i believe your breeders is just saying that to make you feel better. My vet also says it is unlikely to go away, just like with humans. Hope this helps!

• Hi! :)I love bulldogs! Sorry what you are going through :(. Alot of bulldogs have allergies. Some dogs don't get allergies till later in life. They can also have them young and then they get better the older they get (every once in awhile). Chances are though that he won't out grow them. Keep him on the great food you are buying. Make sure you use a soothing shampoo/conditioner or spray (that you can get at the vets). The vet can do allergy testing to totally pinpoint his allergies. If pollen is bothering him try wipping his feet everytime he comes inside. If benedryl starts to not work ask your vet about shots or every other day steriod pills. Keep him on the Benedryl until your vet suggests you wean him off (which may be never). Best of luck!

• Unfortunately, most breeds (like American Bulldogs) with a lot of white in their coat are prone to allergies. Especially since they aren't "double-coated" like retrievers and other breeds. There skin is more readily exposed to allergens. It sounds like you have taken the best approach regarding the food. The less preservaties, etc., the better. If it is airborne allergens I really doubt he will grow out of it... as with people.... most allergies will always be there. Some vet's can do costly skin testing for you to try and narrow down the cause to see if you are able to eliminate it... but its extremely difficult. This may just be an issue you have to work with.