My dog sitters puppy and my big dog?

The lady who comes out to sit at my home and care for my dogs while Im out of town has a new puppy now. Its a Shiba Inu, and its a tiny little thing, cant be over 2 months old. Anyway, my two dogs are huge, my Lab 70lbs and my GS/Pit about 55ish-lbs…

The lady who comes out to sit at my home and care for my dogs while Im out of town has a new puppy now. Its a Shiba Inu, and its a tiny little thing, cant be over 2 months old. Anyway, my two dogs are huge, my Lab 70lbs and my GS/Pit about 55ish-lbs…...
    General Dog Discussions : My dog sitters puppy and my big dog?...

• My dog sitters puppy and my big dog?

My dog sitters puppy and my big dog? General Dog Discussions
      The lady who comes out to sit at my home and care for my dogs while Im out of town has a new puppy now. Its a Shiba Inu, and its a tiny little thing, cant be over 2 months old. Anyway, my two dogs are huge, my Lab 70lbs and my GS/Pit about 55ish-lbs They are both really good dogs. So far the only damage done is when the puppy nipped my Lab. She'll play with them until shes so give out she doesnt move. But Im scared to death that an accident will happen. My Lab is a big girl and sometimes shes so clumsy she trips over her own feet, and Im scared to death that shes going to accidentally hurt this puppy. The dog sitter is confident that she wont and that she can control them, and I believe that because shes a a trainer and a vet tech. But, as we all know, it is still possible, even under control. I have to have her come out because shes the only person I can trust to sit in my home while Im away and care for my dogs and they know her and she knows them. Boarding and having someone else just isnt an option. I dont want to ask her to keep the puppy in its crate for 2 days, thats just wrong. If something did happen, of course Id take my part of the responsibility, but I really want to avoid it happening anyway. My dogs are very well trained and wouldnt intentionally hurt the puppy, its just the size issue, like if she steps on it and hurts its paw or anything. She plays with the puppy like a mother dog would but shes fixed and has never really been around little ones like this before, smallest dog shes ever been around was my old weeny dog and he was a fat sausage lol And he was old enough to back off if he didnt want to play, plus she knew him from the time she was a pup. What would you do in this situation?I cant cancel my trip either because my work is what feeds us and its only 2 days 4 times a year. Would appreciate helpful advice. Thank youMamabas I absolutely agree, and a disclaimer is not a bad idea right now. Its too late to board them now as Im leaving tomorrow and her services has already been paid for. I would have to go through the process of getting it back on my card which can take a week sometimes. I dont live in the best of areas and I just felt better with someone home to watch my house too. Im not living in fear, Im just cautious. Im also not writing good at writing out contracts, legal paper etc.. Anywhere online I could one?

My dog sitters puppy and my big dog? General Dog Discussions
    • Whoa! I'd suggest this sitter is being a tad lax about all this. For starters, much as your dogs will be healthy and utd with their shots/boosters, her puppy, if not over 2 months of age, won't have had more than 1 set of shots, and so if your dogs are going to be taken out off your property (what happens with her puppy then?) for exercise, they could easily walk infection back to her puppy.And what if her puppy does damage to your home? Never mind your dogs doing damage to her puppy!I'd suggest there is way too much that could go wrong here, for me to walk away and leave this situation. I'd almost want a 'disclaimer' signed by both parties before I did this. At least. If this is only going to happen for a couple of days, 4 times a year, now might be the time to get your two into a regular Boarding Kennel. It's not going to harm your two, much as up to now this has been a convenient arrangement. The sitter has altered the goalposts, quite significantly too.Your decision, but I know I'd not risk the worst happening.

• Personally I'd find a great dog hotel (not a kennel) to put your dogs in while you're away. I don't like the fact that this little baby is being around the big dogs, either, as it's still so young and probably hasn't even had all it's first shots yet. This puppy can be very prone to getting sick due to lack of shots and could possibly wind up making your dogs sick unintentionally. Feel free to email me if you'd like about what dog hotel you would be looking for and I could possibly help you track one down. However, the dog hotel would be your best bet. If you want your house sat in still while away, then you could have her come over with her puppy, but best not to have the different dogs meet until she's had both sets of shots.

• It won't cause irreparable damage to the small dog. Besides, I would hope that the lady who owns the dog cares enough to keep it out of any rough housing that your dogs may do while you are gone.Her dog is her problem.

• If your sitter is experienced in handling multiple dogs, then she may be able to manage your dogs and her puppy too. But you should protect yourself; have her sign an agreement stating that you are not liable for any damage caused to her puppy on your property or from your dogs; also, that she is liable for any damage to your home caused by her puppy (who may not be reliably housebroken) or interaction between the puppy and your dogs (the dogs trying to play with the puppy, the puppy running and bouncing, chairs and bric-a-brac could be overturned, etc.). Otherwise, she must make other arrangements for her puppy; you are hiring her to care for your dogs, not to bring her puppy into your home for two days.