Yea! My dog lost 2lbs, but is this rate normal...?

Lacie put on a few pounds after her TPLO surgery/recovery period. She was 82lbs and we'd like her to be more like 75lbs (as would the vet). She weighed in at 80lbs last week...so two down. It's taken 6 months for those 2lbs to come off though. I…

Lacie put on a few pounds after her TPLO surgery/recovery period. She was 82lbs and we'd like her to be more like 75lbs (as would the vet). She weighed in at 80lbs last week...so two down. It's taken 6 months for those 2lbs to come off though. I…...
    General Dog Discussions : Yea! My dog lost 2lbs, but is this rate normal...?...

• Yea! My dog lost 2lbs, but is this rate normal...?

Yea! My dog lost 2lbs, but is this rate normal...? General Dog Discussions
      Lacie put on a few pounds after her TPLO surgery/recovery period. She was 82lbs and we'd like her to be more like 75lbs (as would the vet). She weighed in at 80lbs last week...so two down. It's taken 6 months for those 2lbs to come off though. I decreased her food by 1 cup a day, and we've increased the walks to two per day rather than one (both about 1.5-2 miles long). She also has had a dog to play with daily (as we adopted Loki 6 months ago). They run and play in the backyard all day long.Is this a normal rate for weight loss in heavy dogs; because it seems really...s..l..o..w. :) Right! :D It works that way for me...just wasn't sure if it worked that way for dogs :) Always so easy to gain, yet so hard to drop just 5lbs :PYEA! Congrats Fallon! Where did you get all those crappy positive results tests from??? Stay away from the dollar store :P

Yea! My dog lost 2lbs, but is this rate normal...? General Dog Discussions
    • Just be thankful she's not too thin! :) Keep going girl!Maybe take her jogging with you too? Also cut out all treats (I did this with Alf) and give carrots and apples instead, seemed to work!

• Well, whenever my pitbull would lose weight (not on purpose, just stress and what not) she would lose it fast.I also notice that losing weight (as well as gaining it) is kinda like gas prices. QUICK to go up, but slow to come down.

• It sure comes on quicker than you can get it off.....Oh, wait, I'm talking about me now! I'm not sure.How many bully sticks is she eating? :) Are they fattening?I'd say as long as she is making progress and not going back and forth, it would be ok.But, I'm not a vet (sshhhh, don't tell the others).

• You know, us girls have a hard time getting rid of those extra pounds. Our old lab needed to lose a few pounds and it did seem to take quite a while to get those pounds off of her. The good thing is she hasn't gained any more (that's always my problem!).

• I wouldn't decrease the food anymore, if you are exercising the dog that much than you will want him to have energy (food) to burn instead of protein (muscle) try taking him to go swimming (seasonal) or making him pull you on a pair of rollerblades or skateboard. or go bike riding with him and have him wear a doggie back pack (you can get one from "Dr.s foster and smith" for about $30 for large size breed) and fill it with water bottles, jelly jars, anything to add a little resistance. walking is really great, but if you want him to lose the weight fast he is going to have to be running or pulling, or the ideal, doing both at the same time. What would you do if you were trying to lose weight?