URGENT QUESTION REGARDING DOGS AND CHOCOLATE!!!?

my sister had ah bag with ah pound of m&ms in it. this morning we woke up and found it completely empty and the bag was ripped open. we assume 1 or both of our dogs ate the m&ms. 1 of our dogs weighs around 75lbs she's ah labrador and the other is an…

my sister had ah bag with ah pound of m&ms in it. this morning we woke up and found it completely empty and the bag was ripped open. we assume 1 or both of our dogs ate the m&ms. 1 of our dogs weighs around 75lbs she's ah labrador and the other is an…...
    General Dog Discussions : URGENT QUESTION REGARDING DOGS AND CHOCOLATE!!!?...

• URGENT QUESTION REGARDING DOGS AND CHOCOLATE!!!?

URGENT QUESTION REGARDING DOGS AND CHOCOLATE!!!? General Dog Discussions
      my sister had ah bag with ah pound of m&ms in it. this morning we woke up and found it completely empty and the bag was ripped open. we assume 1 or both of our dogs ate the m&ms. 1 of our dogs weighs around 75lbs she's ah labrador and the other is an english springer spaniel and weighs around 30-40lbs. they were milk chocolate m&ms as far as i know and the dogs haven't thrown up yet or anything like that, and we haven't exercised them since we found out, should i call my vet?

URGENT QUESTION REGARDING DOGS AND CHOCOLATE!!!? General Dog Discussions
    • A small piece of chocolate may not make any visible impact on dogs unless of course the animal eats something else while 'high' on chocolate. However, large doses of chocolate may make the dog’s system purge the theobromine that is damaging to the animal. Apart from crying the dog may vomit and may have diarrhea also. Other symptoms of large doses of chocolates are increased urination in the animal and muscle twitching and excessive panting.However, the dog may not die from these symptoms. They are just warning signals. If one ignores those symptoms and does not take the animal to a vet eventually its heart may beat too fast and can give out. This is especially so in older dogs. Usually the increased heartbeat may follow the initial symptoms, when the excessive theobromine gets absorbed into the blood stream. Hopefully now you know why chocolates are not meant for dogs. It could kill the poor animal, put it in a comma, or cause seizures.

• Go ahead. It can't hurt.However my dog has eaten a big ball of solid chocolate, and 6 huge chocolate muffins, and who knows what else, and didn't even seem sick.

• I have always heard that chocolate is very harmful for dogs but my labs have stolen their share along the past 8 years and have never gotten sick that I am aware of. I would call the vet and see what they suggest. You may have to take them in for a check-up and get their stomachs pumped and that could be costly.

• my friends dog one time ate a whole thing of dark chocolate brownies and didnt get sick,so i am pretty sure you dogs will be fine. if they start puking or acting differently though please take them to the vet.

• Why are you asking strangers on the internet whether you should call your vet? ANY TIME that you are in doubt....Call the vet.. a phone call is free. And obviously you know that chocolate is serious.

• dogs only cant have bakers chocolate... the dogs at my house{not mine} love m&ms and every thing i would never give a dog like carrots and vegies but its only bakers chocolate