How many people out there own a German shepard? I bought a 6 week old female from a breeder a few days ago an?

d am curious to how big she will get. Her feet are huge. Her mother is the American breed and her father was imported from Germany. He was about 75 pounds and the mother is about 70 pounds. If you own one how much does your weigh? Also, what age do they…

How many people out there own a German shepard? I bought a 6 week old female from a breeder a few days ago an?

d am curious to how big she will get. Her feet are huge. Her mother is the American breed and her father was imported from Germany. He was about 75 pounds and the mother is about 70 pounds. If you own one how much does your weigh? Also, what age do they…...
    General Dog Discussions : How many people out there own a German shepard? I bought a 6 week old female from a breeder a few days ago an?...

• How many people out there own a German shepard? I bought a 6 week old female from a breeder a few days ago an?

How many people out there own a German shepard? I bought a 6 week old female from a breeder a few days ago an? General Dog Discussions
      d am curious to how big she will get. Her feet are huge. Her mother is the American breed and her father was imported from Germany. He was about 75 pounds and the mother is about 70 pounds. If you own one how much does your weigh? Also, what age do they have to be to get shots, I think its eight weeks or 12 pounds before they can get shots. Thanks.I haven't picked her up yet, just paid the deposit.Simple question Nancy, how big do you think she will get, nothing more nothing less, just answer the question, BTW not my first time purchasing an animal from a breeder, I know more than you think, get off your high horse, nice attitude BTW. Good thing for you we're not conversing in person.

How many people out there own a German shepard? I bought a 6 week old female from a breeder a few days ago an? General Dog Discussions
    • depends on the vets, some give the first set at 6 weeks. others at 8 weeks, but most vets will not give any later than 8 weeks. when u go in, bring in a fecal sample to check for parasites too. your GSD will most likely weigh anything between 70 and 75lbs. taking on genes from both parents; however if the male GSD (breeding male) came from a big female, she may be a little bigger then.

• The best advice is to call your veterinarian before you pick up that new member of the family and ask to have the puppy examined as soon after you become the owner as possible. Each veterinarian will have a preferred protocol for vaccinating puppies and for follow-up vaccinations throughout life. On your way home from the breeder/seller is actually a good time to have the pup seen by your veterinarian, and if you are able to you should bring in a stool sample from the pup for analysis for worms. During the examination the veterinarian will look at the pup's medical/vaccination history. If the breeder has given vaccinations just recently, and your veterinarian is confident that it was done properly, a recommendation will be made regarding when to come in for the next "booster" injection of vaccine. If the pup is healthy and unvaccinated, your veterinarian will suggest vaccinating right away. 6 to 7 weeks of age: Give first combination vaccine. (Distemper, Hepatitis, Parvovirus, Parainfluenza, Coronavirus)9 weeks of age: Give second combination vaccine.12 weeks of age: Give the third combination injection and possibly a LYME Vaccine inoculation. Generally a LYME vaccine is then repeated two weeks later, then once a year.16 weeks of age: Give the last combination vaccine.12 to 16 weeks of age: Rabies vaccine is given. (Local and State laws apply regarding Rabies vaccine since this can be a human disease, too. Your veterinarian will tell you the proper time intervals for booster vaccines for Rabies.)Special considerations: Many veterinarians believe some breeds such as Rottweilers and Dobermans should have at least two Parvo vaccines with the last one being given at 20 weeks of age. I've had two shepherds one was a full breed, who weighed between 90 and 95 lbs, and my other shepherd is a mix of shepherd/malamute and he weighs 70 lbs. (he's 1.5 yrs. old)

• All my dogs have been shepherd mixes. Female sheperds generally range from 60 to 80 lbs. Check out Leerburg.com for more information on training your shepherd. I have a male shepherd/akita mix and he's 95 lbs at 1 yr. Start your shots as soon as possible, usually around 12-18 weeks. Good luck!

• My dads GSD (when he was a kid) was about 80 pounds, and he was a male. So the female we probably be around 70-75 pounds full grown. If you call your vet (s)he should be able to tell you when the shots are needed. I wont even go into how she should be 8 weeks before you got her though....Whats her name? Just curiousEnjoy your new pup!

• You need to start the puppy shots now. There is a series of like 3 puppy shots. She won't get the rabies though until she gets the last round I think (trying to remember because my youngest dog is 5). I have a german shepherd mix but she has all of the distinct markings of the german shepherd. They're very smart and trainable dogs. Good for you.

• My friend has three german shepherd one is a female 4 month old and 44 pounds. One is a female that is 2 years old and 86 pounds and the last one is a female that is 92 pounds and 7 years old.

• I am afraid I agree with others, responsible breeders do not let a puppy go this early. Take the puppy to a vet to get checked over, ALWAYS a good idea. Do NOT take the puppy outside your home until it has had 2 shots, as they can catch dog diseases and get sick very quickly. PAVO can live in the sand for 12 months. At 6 weeks it is ready for its first shot, make sure it gets all 3 shots. German Shepherds have big feet, I think it is because it makes it easier for them to run on snow, being cold climate dogs. Most pups grow to the same size as the parents, this is a hereditary thing, but saying that my b*tch is larger than 3 of her brothers, and 1 brother is the size of a normal female, so who really knows.You have got yourself a brilliant dog there, but it will need lots of training and exercise. Make sure you commence training early, sit, drop, stay, come and really important, and try to get the puppy into puppy school - normally 2 weeks after you adopt, as some GSD can be a bit anti social if bad breeding, best to find out early what personality your dog has.

• We have a rescued German Shepherd and she is 75lbs. When we got her, she had heartworms, was malnourished and weighed 50lbs (way underweight.)You shouldn't have been able to get a puppy from a breeder this young... but too late for that now. Be sure to socialize her and start obedience training. Shepherds can be a bit stubborn and need a job and need to be stimulated mentally to be great family dogs. (Just like most dogs.) If they aren't oroperly socialized they can be overly protective and fearful around strangers.Talk to a vet about shots. Good luck with your new pup!ADD: Don't listen to Nancy. She is the resident bit** in my opinion. If it were up to her, no one would be allowed to own a dog if they had even one question about owning them. She never has anything nice to say... Anyway, good for you for not bringing home a 6 week old puppy. And Good Luck. Thank you for serving our country.

• First: Thank you for serving our country!!!I have a GSD from a professional GSD breeder and K9 trainer. Her father was about 100, her mother 70 lbs. My dog had HUGE feet as a puppy and the breeder thought she could hit 90 lbs. Thankfully, she didn't! She's not a big eater, and her frame did not get huge - she's topped out at 70lbs now that she's 3 yrs old (birthday last week!).The norm for a female GSD is 65-80 lbs. GSD's will grow for 2 1/2 years (although I think mine grew for a bit longer, having put on her last bit of weight within the last 2-3 months). They wil grow in height for about 1 1/2 years, then the last year will be a broadening of the chest, until the chest comes down to the front elbows.The breeder should have started a few shots before you get her, then take her shot records to a vet - they will need to space them accordingly, based on those original shots.Congratulations! I know you'll love her, GSD's are so awesome and very loyal!

• The breeder should have started the shots already and NO reputable breeder lets pups go before they are at least 8 weeks old - isn't even legal in most states, I don't know if she's breaking the law in your state, but would be in mine.To answer the weight question, I had 2 shepherds, died of old age at clost to 18 last summer (both rescues), the male was 85 lbs, the female was dainty at 65 pounds.Shepherds should not be bred for size alone,they are very prone to hip displasia anyway, my big male went through a bout of that at 5 months, very expensive to treat, and really big ones more so than normal size.With the breeder you describe, I wish you and the pup luck - you will need it.

• I have a two year old female and she weighs 75 lbs. I have heard that if you double a dogs weight at 3 months old then that will tell you the adult weight, but if I had to guess I would say your puppy would probably weigh about 75 lbs too. As far as shots the first set is usually given at 6 wks and the breeder should do it before you pick her up (but the weight doesn't matter) then its 9 wks, 12 wks and 15 wks. Good Luck!p.s. Love your response to Nancy. : )

• I've got a German Shepherd/Samoyed mix. Aside from the gorgeous GSD looks, he's got floppy ears and a curled tail. So cute =]Anyways, mine's a mix and he's only about 70-75 pounds, so that should give you some idea. Yours will probably be about the same even though she's a purebred because she's, well, a she. Females tend to be a bit smaller.

• Most of the time you take the average of the male and the female and add 1-2 lbs for a boy while taking away 1-2 pounds for the girl so about 71 to 72 lbs.As for the shots normally the breeders do the first ones. If they didn't it is normally before the 8th week but your vet should be able to give you all the details. The breeder should also give you the details and all the paperwork of what has been done and what need to be done. Congrats