Will heartworm prevention hurt a dog if they already have heartworms? ?

My golden retriever has been off of heartworm medication for a couple months now ( I know, its awful of me, I couldnt find a way to afford it) and I finally got some for her (generic advantage multi). She goes to the vet next week for shots, should I…

My golden retriever has been off of heartworm medication for a couple months now ( I know, its awful of me, I couldnt find a way to afford it) and I finally got some for her (generic advantage multi). She goes to the vet next week for shots, should I…...
    General Dog Discussions : Will heartworm prevention hurt a dog if they already have heartworms? ?...

• Will heartworm prevention hurt a dog if they already have heartworms? ?

Will heartworm prevention hurt a dog if they already have heartworms? ? General Dog Discussions
      My golden retriever has been off of heartworm medication for a couple months now ( I know, its awful of me, I couldnt find a way to afford it) and I finally got some for her (generic advantage multi). She goes to the vet next week for shots, should I wait and get her tested for heartworms before I start the meds? I don't have any reason to think she HAS heartworms but I don't know if its dangerous to start heartworm prevention without knowing for sure first. Thanks!

Will heartworm prevention hurt a dog if they already have heartworms? ? General Dog Discussions