How much weight can a German Shepherd carry?

When I go hiking, I'd like to take my dog with me and have him carry a pack. What's the correct ratio for him to carry?

When I go hiking, I'd like to take my dog with me and have him carry a pack. What's the correct ratio for him to carry?...
    General Dog Discussions : How much weight can a German Shepherd carry?...

• How much weight can a German Shepherd carry?

How much weight can a German Shepherd carry? General Dog Discussions
      When I go hiking, I'd like to take my dog with me and have him carry a pack. What's the correct ratio for him to carry?

How much weight can a German Shepherd carry? General Dog Discussions
    • It depends what your dog is pulling. How much it's pulling. If your dog seems fine pulling something it's alright for your dog and good exercise. You must be careful that if your dog is getting pushed to the ground or is crouching, and struggling to walk that you don't leave him stuck with all that weight. There is no ratio of how much a weight a GS can carry.

• No more than 10% of his body weight for a beginner, or 15%-20% for a dog that has been conditioned to the work. For the average GSD that would be between 7-10 pounds. They can carry their own food and a couple bottles of water.I recommend a vet check if you intend to do any serious hiking and a conditioning regime incorporating a weighted, properly fitting pack into your walking or jogging routine.