What can I do for my dog he ate chocolate?

He is a terrier and ate about a quarter of a large hersey kiss and they are no vets or hospitals anywhere close to me that are open today! Is there anything at all I can do for him at home until they open in the morning? He seems to be acting okay it…

He is a terrier and ate about a quarter of a large hersey kiss and they are no vets or hospitals anywhere close to me that are open today! Is there anything at all I can do for him at home until they open in the morning? He seems to be acting okay it…...
    General Dog Discussions : What can I do for my dog he ate chocolate?...

• What can I do for my dog he ate chocolate?

What can I do for my dog he ate chocolate? General Dog Discussions
      He is a terrier and ate about a quarter of a large hersey kiss and they are no vets or hospitals anywhere close to me that are open today! Is there anything at all I can do for him at home until they open in the morning? He seems to be acting okay it happened about a hour ago and the only thing I notice is he seems hyper like he wants to play which is not like him most of the time.

What can I do for my dog he ate chocolate? General Dog Discussions
    • It depends on how much chocolate was actually in what he ate. It may or not be serious, depending on how much he ate.The good news is that it takes, on average, a fairly large amount of theobromine, 100-150 mg per pound of your animal, to cause a toxic reaction. Although there are variables to consider like the individual sensitivity, animal size and chocolate concentration.Milk chocolate contains 60 mg per ounce of theobromine. The toxic dose is one ounce of milk chocolate per pound of body weight. For example one pound of milk chocolate is poisonous to the nervous system of a 20-pound dog; one-half pound in a 10-pound dog. Keep in mind that the average chocolate bar contains two to three ounces of milk chocolate. It would take two to three candy bars to produce toxicity in a 10-pound dog.

• I work at a vet clinic. Your dog will be fine! The biggest danger is Dark Chocolate - milk chocolate isn't ideal, but it's only mildly toxic. He would have to eat ~1 pound of milk chocolate to get sick! Your dog will be fine. Just try to keep the chocolate away from him in the future - once they eat it, sometimes they decide they really like it and will look for it in the future. Best wishes!