Will my 8 month old Chihuahua live through her pregnancy?

My 8 month old chihuahua was in her first heat and mated with a 4 year old terrier. (he is about 10-15 pounds) she is pregnant. Will she live through her pregnancy? Is she gonna be ok?

My 8 month old chihuahua was in her first heat and mated with a 4 year old terrier. (he is about 10-15 pounds) she is pregnant. Will she live through her pregnancy? Is she gonna be ok?...
    General Dog Discussions : Will my 8 month old Chihuahua live through her pregnancy?...

• Will my 8 month old Chihuahua live through her pregnancy?

Will my 8 month old Chihuahua live through her pregnancy? General Dog Discussions
      My 8 month old chihuahua was in her first heat and mated with a 4 year old terrier. (he is about 10-15 pounds) she is pregnant. Will she live through her pregnancy? Is she gonna be ok?

Will my 8 month old Chihuahua live through her pregnancy? General Dog Discussions
    • Would not surprise me at all if she needs a C-section simply based on her breed and age. Start talking with a vet. If she does need a C-section most vets encourage spaying at the time of surgery.

• She will be fine.(: Many dogs mate when they are young. My dog is a Sain Burnard/ Basset hound (yes i know funny sounding) he is a VERY LARGE dog and he mated with a Pug! She gotton HUGE!!! but she survived. She will just become very LARGE and her nipples will grow and fatten LARGELY you will have to help her when she gives birth by comforting her and if one gets "stuck" you might have to help pull it out. There might possibly be a puppy that will die at birth or later on. BUT that is life that happens everywhere. Be strong and help your puppy through this. :)Also you may need to talk to a vet as well, she may need a C- section

• You need to take your puppy to a vet for an urgent spay. Why haven't you already done this. Your puppy is way to young to be carrying and whelping puppies. She may not even survive the pregnancy if the pups are too big, let alone whelping them. Carrying large puppies can rupture her immature uterus.If you decide to allow this pregnancy to continue you can almost guarantee she will need a C section so you best have at least $2000 set aside to pay for it.

• For this one you need to see the vet and have an X-ray about 1week before delivery to see if they are too big. Because of dads size you may have problems. But we don't know size of your ChiThe one thing. That is good is her pelvis bones are still soft and may spread enough. But please see you vet.

• These are questions you should be asking your VET. Chi's often need C-sections due to the shape of their heads anyway, so being bred to a larger dog, there is an even greater chance of problems. Your best bet is to have her X-rayed a week before the due date. The vet can determine the sizes and number of pups, and decide if a scheduled C-section is advisable. Keep in mind that even if one isn't deemed necessary at that time, that's no guarantee that things won't suddenly go wrong during delivery and she'd have to be rushed to the vet. That can happen with ANY female having pups, let alone one that is too small and too young.Please spay her after the pups are weaned. You really should have spayed her when you realized she'd been bred. That would have been the safest thing for *her*. Be aware that she might not have a clue how to be a mother, so you might have to pretty much take over caring for the pups.