What breed of dog is good if you have small children?

I have a 4 yr old son. He loves animals and I want to buy him a dog. I want something that is quite butch. He spends too much time in the house. I dont want a nancy dog! But does any-one know of any dogs that are good with children.

I have a 4 yr old son. He loves animals and I want to buy him a dog. I want something that is quite butch. He spends too much time in the house. I dont want a nancy dog! But does any-one know of any dogs that are good with children....
    General Dog Discussions : What breed of dog is good if you have small children?...

• What breed of dog is good if you have small children?

What breed of dog is good if you have small children? General Dog Discussions
      I have a 4 yr old son. He loves animals and I want to buy him a dog. I want something that is quite butch. He spends too much time in the house. I dont want a nancy dog! But does any-one know of any dogs that are good with children.

What breed of dog is good if you have small children? General Dog Discussions
    • please dont get a rottweiler or anything like that!i have a sprocker spaniel. she is lovely with children, she has never bitten. she needs a quick walk a day and attention but yeah they are good dogs, shes very protective but loves people.

• Yes, I do........Welsh Springer Spaniels!!My sis is a dog-groomer, specialized in the breed (no, LOL, I'm not advertising for her, she's got more clients than she can handle already, from different coutries), so I've often seen first hand what great dogs they are, for anyone!!

• Lab and Shepards are great for kids. It is also good to get a puppy (not even a little puppy but a dog that is not full grown yet) so they can grow up together. That way the dog will be used to your son and will protect him. Just make sure your son knows how to behave around a dog and not poke them in the eyes and that sort of thing. We have a border collie, shepard mix and she has grown up with my son and she loves other kids as well. Good Luck

• Border Collie...no contest, they are brilliant & affectionate. They are a high energy, medium size dog, and are very easy to train.Get a male dog...we have a female dog now & I found the male dog didn't require as much care when it came to bathing ( I think it's because of the way they pee). Also please make sure you get him neutered, it helps keep dogs from running away. Good Luck!

• Contrary to popular belief staffordshire bull terriers are the most soppy gentle dogs i have ever seen, my family has had them for years and when baby relatives have come round they have been able to pull their ears and tales and make lots of noise without the dog getting remotely irritated, I would trust one round my children (if i had children) although slightly worried about posting this as its down to how the individual dog has been treated, so if its been well treated or you get it as a pup i think it would be ok! Staffs are not dangerous like everyone thinks they are

• A greyhound is a lovely gentle breed of dog. There are so many in dog homes because after they have finished racing they are no longer wanted so you would also be providing a home for a dog which has been abandoned.

• Well I am a huge fan of the Labrador Retrievers they are by far one of the greatest dogs. They love all people and things, they are the greatest with kids and they are highly intelligent and versatile. I have owned almost every breed out there and the Labs have been by far the most impressive. My Lab goes swimming with my nephews all summer, he plays fetch with them, hide and seek in the house and in the winter he out there joining the snowball wars. Thet are extremely affectionate and loyal you would not be making a mistake by getting one.And there are also the Pit Bulls and I am not be crazy. They have a bad rap nd by their breed standard before people get ahold of them and train them to fight they are extremely loyal,loving dogs who are GREAT with kids. My Pit Bull can not get enough "torture" from my young nephews. He tolerates it all. No matter what dog you get or what breed you get it is all how you raise it. There are some breeds there is no way you should have around kids but you also have to consider you will being giving the dog most of his care. The Labs are the best all around dogs mine is my babysitter. There are extremely easy to train. The Pits are great dogs but they are Terriers amd can be a little difficult to train (that goes with any terrier thats probally why they call him "tenacious terriers") But honestly if you got your son a puppy he would have a great dog they are not vicious by nature.

• I've had the best luck with mixed breeds. they seem to be the calmest and most appreciative of all the dogs out there and there are so many to choose from that need a good home. on top of that they usually don't cost an arm and a leg either.

• Basically any breed of dog are good with children. It would be better to get a puppy so that it can bond with the children and can be trained. Smaller dogs may be better with the size of them although some breeds are known to be snappy (eg. Silky Terrier). It really depends on what the dog is taught is right and wrong from a puppy. Taking your puppy to obediance or puppy preschool classes teaches them simple yet very helpful tricks (eg. sit, stay, come, drop and how to walk on a lead properly). See your vet for infromation on these classes as they usually have them on offer. If you are not buying a puppy froma petshop eg. private sale then it is a god idea to see the parents of the puppies and spend a bit of time whith them to see their personalities and if their healthy etc. I currently have a Rottweiler and an Australian Terrier but believe it or not the Aussie Terrier is more ferocious than the Rottweiler. If you get a medium or a large sized dog it is a MUST to get them trained as because of their size they are harder to control. It really depends on the person interested in dogs to make the decision on what breed to buy.

• A 4-year old child is much too young to have a dog! At that age he will not be able to control it properly while walking it.Who wants the "quite butch" dog - you or your son? I would have thought that a 4-year old would have preferred a cute fluffy little dog rather than a butch dog that will pull him over and knock him over when it jumps up at him.Generally dogs and small children do not go well together.I suggest you get him a smaller indoor pet and encourage him to get out more by you going out with him and playing football.