How can we put a stop to the barbaric dog fighting which is STILL happening?

In the UK so-called dangerous dogs were banned about 10-15 years ago. How can it be that the practice of dog fighting is still going on?What do you think will stop this if anything?I believe the guilty people should be thrown in with their fighting dogs,…

In the UK so-called dangerous dogs were banned about 10-15 years ago. How can it be that the practice of dog fighting is still going on?What do you think will stop this if anything?I believe the guilty people should be thrown in with their fighting dogs,…...
    General Dog Discussions : How can we put a stop to the barbaric dog fighting which is STILL happening?...

• How can we put a stop to the barbaric dog fighting which is STILL happening?

How can we put a stop to the barbaric dog fighting which is STILL happening? General Dog Discussions
      In the UK so-called dangerous dogs were banned about 10-15 years ago. How can it be that the practice of dog fighting is still going on?What do you think will stop this if anything?I believe the guilty people should be thrown in with their fighting dogs, see how entertaining it is then.What do you think?

How can we put a stop to the barbaric dog fighting which is STILL happening? General Dog Discussions
    • i wish we could stop it but these days most of the fighting is underground. it is totally cruel and barbaric but i guess it will carry on no matter what we try to do about it :(

• unfortunately its hard to stop these fights coz no one will grass them up but if you put me in a room with someone who makes dogs fight on purpose i would kell the b******!!!!

• i hate dog fighting and it is the most barbaric thing ever in the whole world and i hate it but i dont know what we can do because sometimes we just cant catch these people who do it. and yes i believe that these terrible people should be throw in with their fighting dogs and be ripped apart like the dogs do its so cruel :[ i dont see how they think its entertaining

• we have a big prob here in aust too,when some get caught they just go somewhere else later,the laws should be more severe and hard.i cant put here wot i think of these kind of peopl that do wot they do.i had my bull terrior stolen and we found him with other stolen dogs that were going to be used in fighting,they also steal lil cats+dogs to blood the fighting dogs,its a nightmare.maybe the breeds can be banned,just to protect them frm the savage mongrels that are being cruel to them.godbless all the dogs,its the owners of these cruelly kept animals that should be destroyed when caught.

• I dont think we will ever stop it and the local authorities don't seem overly bothered. Think its just one of those horrible things that happen in the world that all you can do is be aware of cos you are totaly helpless to do anything about.

• Laws in most western countries are very lame at times. In non westernised countries where the ruling class wish to eliminate a certain crime, they serve up capital punisment. It doesn't completeley eradicate the crime but reduces it to just a desparate few.

• see how entertaining it is then------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I don't see how this "entertaining" spectacle to those around watching will "deter" them from re-enacting this same thing on their own - to start a whole new form of fighting "contest or event" to take the previous ones place... and for higher stakes ?????The whole idea is NOT to lower everyone else or sink others to this level of stupidity or sophomoric attitude. But rather, to bring people to a higher state of consciousness & get them out of the sewer dwelling confines that their minds have been subjected to. All thanks to the criminal element, movies, music, media, etc. This will not direct them out of the darkness they are used to, rather... it will only feed their appetite for more savagery, & brutality.

• Until the dog fighting people get thrown in the ring (as you say - which i like) or thrown in jail for proper sentaces (not 4 bloody weeks) then it won't stop. Our countries government is to blame. If they keep banning these dogs their will soon be nothing but toy dogs left (and i bet the fighters would start fighting them as well!) it's so sad for the beautiful breeds of dogs. I worry for my bullmastiff all the time that they will ban them next!

• It goes to show that banning something does not make the problem go away. Guns were banned in the UK, but every week we hear of another murder where someone is shot.Dog fighting is barbaric perpetrated by idiotic thugs who like nothing better than to watch animals suffer. Fighting to the death is NOT in a dogs nature, and forcing two dogs to do so would only be done by the criminally insane. We should treat these sicko's as mentally deficient and lock them up for a very long time.

• I think that no matter what rules and regulations are put onto dog fighting you will always get someone still going out secretly to still do it. Though an idea or two is to get a petition going or see if the cops can do anything about it. Research, research, research. If you have any save animals organiasations like the RSPCA in australia then report any news about dog fights that can help the organisation to stop them.

• I love dogs, and I think dog fighting is appalling. However, it is very hard to stop it. Hundreds of dogs get hurt or killed in dog fights every year, but what have they done to deserve it? I believe dog fighting is unnecessary and disgusting, but also very hard to stop. Also, most dogs are not naturally aggressive, but are just forced to fight. My Staffordshire bull terrier wouldn't hurt a fly, but the breed in general used to be put in rings to fight to the death. I think all we can do to stop dog fighting is to report anything suspicious.

• I think our problem lies with the authorities who are all unwilling to do anything about dog fights. There was a program on tv recently about dog fighting here in northern ireland which exposed some of the main perpetrators in dog fighting and the next day a very popular radio show was devoted to the subject, they had the police and councils on the show to ask why this was still going on but none of them had any interest, they just kept saying it's not up to us it's up to someone else to stop it.A ban on so called 'dangerous dogs' is never going to make any difference, and taking the dogs off owners who are involved in dog fighting is not going to make any difference either, a lot of the time they are actually happy to have the space freed up to get another better fighting dog, as most of them keep 10+ dogs. People like us have to stand up once and for all and make ourselves heard that we won't tolerate this anymore, we need to make sure someone starts listening to us and the police, RSPCA and local councils all have to start working together to get this problem under control. They need to start punishing the dog owners more harshly and focus less on blanket bans and other useless nonsense.

• It's like everything that governments try to ban, it just goes 'underground'. It is barbaric and I can't believe how any normal person can enjoy it. There was a programme on TV all about it the other night and a fighting Pit Bull was actually transported into this country and on it's 'passport' it said it was a Labrador/bulldog crossbreed. It came into the country with no trouble but anyone could see that it was a Pit Bull (and it was covered in scars!) The importation of dogs must be stricter and licensing and chipping of all dogs might help but I'm not sure that whilst there are nutters who enjoy dog fighting, that it will ever be stamped out. Sadly.

• That is exactly what I think (only, not their own dogs as they might not attack them).I hate all the smug owners who lie and say " oh, they are mix-breed" so they can get away with having such animals. I think there should be a vet in every area, who looks at the animal's physical ability and temperament, and most importantly, the owner's attitude and dog care, and then decides which dogs are safe for the community.