What is the best kind of diet for pit bull?

The lady at the local petco told me that a no grain, all natural diet is the recommended type of food that my new pit bull puppy of 7-10 months old needs (kinda unsure because I found her on the streets).Last night, based on the info she gave me, I…

The lady at the local petco told me that a no grain, all natural diet is the recommended type of food that my new pit bull puppy of 7-10 months old needs (kinda unsure because I found her on the streets).Last night, based on the info she gave me, I…...
    General Dog Discussions : What is the best kind of diet for pit bull?...

• What is the best kind of diet for pit bull?

What is the best kind of diet for pit bull? General Dog Discussions
      The lady at the local petco told me that a no grain, all natural diet is the recommended type of food that my new pit bull puppy of 7-10 months old needs (kinda unsure because I found her on the streets).Last night, based on the info she gave me, I bought Natural Balance L.I.D. Sweet Potato and Chicken. Last night was the first night having it and now she's been having diarrhea. Is it because of the new food? Should I wait to determine whether or not I should blame it?

What is the best kind of diet for pit bull? General Dog Discussions
    • To be honest, Petco will tell you whatever it takes to sell you their expensive, organic food.Try your puppy on either Iams puppy diet or Purina Puppy chow. They're affordable and easy to get. If she has any diarrhea but is STILL eating and drinking fine, keep feeding her that food for about a week. It's probably a reaction to the new food. However, if she has diarrhea that persists, and she stops eating and drinking, take her to a vet immediately. Diarrhea and no water intake can dehydrate a puppy to critical levels FAST. There is no need for any special diets unless your puppy has special needs or is sick. Make SURE the food you give her is for PUPPIES. Her digestive system is too immature for adult foods yet. Anymore questions, email me at yourbbygirl1292@rocketmail

• She's right, grain free high quality is best. These are the best foods sold at PetCo:Natural BalanceMerrickInnovaWellnessSolid GoldBLUE is "ok"Instinct (Grain free formulas)I personally feed mine Taste of the Wild.* EDIT: Right, Purina and Iams are GREAT quality foods! You're getting ripped off when someone suggests a high quality kibble. That makes sense.

• @? is right. Nice to see some common sense here for a change. Those selling expensive foods will say whatever it takes. Then those that it sounds good to parrot it endlessly. Mean time, those making evidence based decisions are feeding inexpensive common brands and their dogs are thriving. I feed Pro Plan chicken and rice. My dogs thrive on it and so do thousands of others I see that eat it. I haven't seen the same thousands of dogs eating Iams and other common brands as Pro Plan, but the ones I see are doing great too.

• The Petco lady is partly right. It is best to feed the highest quality you can afford. The grain free foods that have a high meat and low carb content are worth looking into. The brands that just replace a grain carb source with a non grain carb source are not worth it for the average dog. Petco has a variety of brands that are currently considered healthy choices. These include:Solid GoldBlue BuffaloNatures VarietyInnovaMerrickWellnessHolistic SelectNatural BalanceI would compare prices and choose one that fits your budget. It is best to avoid grocery brands, like Purina and Iams. These foods require you to feed more to get the nutrition your dog needs. This means you spend more per meal than you would using a better brand and feeding less. Cheap food also leads to more shedding and more poop to pick up. When your dog stays healthier, you spend less at the vet as well. So you don't need $80 a bag 'no grain' diets, but putting a few extra dollars toward a healthy food will be well worth it. Expect to spend about $45-$55 on 30-35 pounds of food. This is a good low to mid price range for quality diets. If there is an independent pet store near by, you can usually find more affordable healthy choices. Brands like Nutrisource, Taste of the Wild, Premium Edge, Precise, Canidae, and Native are good quality and range in price from $35-$45 for 30-40 pounds.Edit: Any change in diet, to a good food or not, will result in diarrhea. This will usually go away within a week. However, unless your dog has a known grain allergy, the food you are using is not a good choice. It is all potato with very little meat, which is the opposite of what dog's need. The limited ingredient foods are intended for dog's who have a specific known food sensitivity. This is a great example of where the grain free can be bad. If you like Natural Balance, use the Synergy formula. Yes it has grains, but the amount of meat and carbs is more balanced, especially for a puppy that needs more than a bag of potatoes.