What are some dog breeds that are good for allergy sufferers?

I really want a dog but my parents won't let me get one until I am 14. I am 13 now.They are not too enthusiastic about me getting a dog so I am going to make a PowerPoint about a certain breed of dog that will fit our lifestyle.The only problem is, my…

I really want a dog but my parents won't let me get one until I am 14. I am 13 now.They are not too enthusiastic about me getting a dog so I am going to make a PowerPoint about a certain breed of dog that will fit our lifestyle.The only problem is, my…...
    General Dog Discussions : What are some dog breeds that are good for allergy sufferers?...

• What are some dog breeds that are good for allergy sufferers?

What are some dog breeds that are good for allergy sufferers? General Dog Discussions
      I really want a dog but my parents won't let me get one until I am 14. I am 13 now.They are not too enthusiastic about me getting a dog so I am going to make a PowerPoint about a certain breed of dog that will fit our lifestyle.The only problem is, my dad has athsma and we think he might be allergic to dogs.What are the dog breeds that shed lightly and are almost hypoallergenic?Note: I know that NO dog is completely hypoallergenic and they all shed!Thanks :)

What are some dog breeds that are good for allergy sufferers? General Dog Discussions
    • It's not normally the hair that people are allergic to, but the dander, and all dogs have that. My husband is asthmatic, and when tested for the full range of things that produce allergies, reacted as strongly as most to DOGS and cats. He's lived with our Bassets for over 40 years now, and has never reacted to them. So there are no hard and fast rules about whether he's going to react to a dog. Which makes it difficult. All I can suggest is he goes visit some kennels of whatever breed you might like, and see if he has a reaction? This may not be fool-proof either! But all I do stress is you don't get a puppy, and then find he reacts. You'd not believe the number of returned puppies there are, because of 'allergies'. It is said that breeds like the Poodle, and maybe Schnauzers are easier to live with, if you are asthmatic.

• If you want a small dog Poodles & Yorkshire terriers are a good choice. For a large dog a Briard. All these breeds don't shed hair and are good with Asthmatics. I have has all 3 breeds and I am also asthmatic and allergic to animal fur.

• Here's a list of dogs breeds that shed little or no hair:http://www.justdogbreeds.com/low-shedding-dog-breeds.htmlIf you google "dogs that don't shed", you'll find longer lists of low-shedding dog breeds, but I chose to show you this one because it has photos of each of the dog breeds and if you click on a breed that catches your eye, you'll find loads of useful info about it, along with more photos. =]But remember, it might not be the actual dog hair that your dad is allergic to. When a dog goes outside, it will trap pollen in its fur. The longer the dog's fur is, the more pollen it will bring into the house with it. And since pollen is known to trigger asthma attacks, and since your dad has asthma, I highly recommend get a short-haired dog.I hope I was able to help and good luck finding your perfect dog!

• Definitely a poodle, they are great and smart pets and come in three sizes. So you can almost always find one to match your lifestyle. They have hair instead of fur so they don't shed (they will lose a few strands every now and again just like humans do) but need plenty of grooming. There are only very few people who have reactions to poodles so you can be pretty sure that your dad won't react to it. Don't think of poodles as a Fru-Fru breed of dog, poodles are not often kept in the poofy cut (continental cut) that makes them look very girly, they are extremely fast runners and have an excellent temperament if trained and socialized well (same for every dog) They are extremely active outside when it is time to play, but they tend to be very calm, lazy and well mannered inside the house. You should definitely atleast consider researching poodles, as they seem to fit your given criteria so far :PI got a Standard poodle for my 13th birthday and my life has never been the same since, I was in basically in the same situation as you as I come from a family of allergy sufferers, not one of us had a reaction. Charlie was the best dog I have ever owned and I look forward to many more poodles in my lifetime. R.I.P. Charlie, the best dog in the world.Have fun when you turn 14 and get whatever puppy you choose! (hopefully a poodle :P)EDIT: If you do happen to consider a poodle puppy, this is a great site for info or to just chat. There are so many poodle owners on there with plentiful info to share! Please check it out.http://www.poodleforum.com/

• Dad can always have the doctor do a skin scrape test to check for a dog allergy. If he is asthmatic then i strongly suggest he try that before bringing a dog in! Wouldn't want to get this animal and have to re-home it because "oh, i guess he IS allergic".But if he does test as allergic then he's going to have to make the effort to spend time with dogs belonging to reputable breeders to see what his allergies do. And by time i mean more than a few minutes and a single meeting, i mean an hour or two multiple times throughout a week or more. All dogs shed dander and all dogs have saliva, so that's the only way to know if he'll be "okay" with a particular dog.Low dander breeds tend to be better for people with minor allergies - Poodles, Schnauzers, etc. Moderate to severe allergies should not be constantly exposed to the allergen ESPECIALLY if health issues are already present.http://www.akc.org/about/faq_allergies.cfm