How can i stop my rescue dog from attacking other dogs and people?

I have an 11 year old collie-cross, when ever she see's another dog she growls at them and then goes to attack them, a couple of time she has got away and bitten them until they bleed. She also attacks old bald men for some reason. I need some advice on…

I have an 11 year old collie-cross, when ever she see's another dog she growls at them and then goes to attack them, a couple of time she has got away and bitten them until they bleed. She also attacks old bald men for some reason. I need some advice on…...
    General Dog Discussions : How can i stop my rescue dog from attacking other dogs and people?...

• How can i stop my rescue dog from attacking other dogs and people?

How can i stop my rescue dog from attacking other dogs and people? General Dog Discussions
      I have an 11 year old collie-cross, when ever she see's another dog she growls at them and then goes to attack them, a couple of time she has got away and bitten them until they bleed. She also attacks old bald men for some reason. I need some advice on how to stop all this happening!

How can i stop my rescue dog from attacking other dogs and people? General Dog Discussions
    • honestly , i know you love this dog and its hard, but what if its a child next? at least keep it on a lead and maby take him somewhere quiet where children aren't around. it doesn't seem like your going to put it down as u love it so at least take extra care. he must have had bad bald owner poor dog. xx xx

• How long have you had her and has she always had this behaviour?First of all, get her a muzzle and get her used to wearing it. That she got away in the first place and managed to bite another dog should not have happened, that it happened twice is inexcusable.Second of all, take her to the vet for a full check-up, specifically ask the vet to check for pain or discomfort. Older dogs can often get aggressive or short tempered because they are not feeling well.If she gets the all clear from the vet, you will need the help of a professional dog trainer or a professional dog behaviourist who can identify why you dog is reacting the way she does (insecurity? fear aggression? dominance?) and then show you how to handle her.If she's been behaving like this for a while, you will probably have to accept that she will never get along with other dogs or old bald men, and you might have to control the situation at all times by either keeping her away from other dogs and old bald men or make sure she's muzzled, leash and under control while she's near them. Hopefully you should be able to reach the point where you can get her to focus on you and not attack them, but you might never be able to trust her completely around them.

• Muzzle, and lead. It's up to you to keep your dog under control, at all times. And do get her checked out because at this age, anything could be going on - assuming this is something new!!

• First off well done for giving her a home .sounds like she is scared .Muzzle her if you cant control her & get to a dog trainer .Can you find a safe enclosed area to practise recall & stuff?Reward consistently for good behaviour ,collies are clever & she should soon pick up on what you expect of her

• Sadly, it sounds as if this dog has been subjected to abuse in her past - by a bald man. It also sounds as if she was not exposed to other dogs, or if she was, it was only to be victimized by them. If you cannot provide an environment where she can be safely confined in a home without either, where she can be insulated and kept from harming anyone, the best thing would be to have her put down. This is the hard part of rescue - finding out that a dog has been damaged beyond the point of real rescue. A dog such as this is living in constant fear each time you take her anywhere, and you should keep her in since you cannot keep her from harming others. There's nothing in it for her, anyway. A biting, growling dog is a fearful dog - and that is not a quality life. If you have no option that will give her that, it is better to give her peace, and go rescue a dog without those issues - there are plenty of them that get put down each day, for lack of the foster home she is in.

• Did you just get this dog? Good for you on adopting an older dog. Since this is an older dog, her habits are deeply ingrained. I advise contacting a professional trainer to work with you on aversion methods to stop this behavior. She has probably been allowed to get away with this behavior for ten years. If you do muzzle her between now and when you are working with a trainer, you will have to take some sort of protection for her. She will still be challenging other dogs, even with a muzzle on, and they may come over to accept her challenge. You will need to be ready to defend her since she won’t be able to help herself. Use a basket style muzzle so she can open her mouth to pant. You can start letting her know that the behavior is not allowed anymore by having her on a training collar and a long lead (10 - 15 feet). When another dog or person is approaching and she begins to tense and fixate on them, you have a tight hold on the end of the lead and do a quiet about-face (180 degrees in the opposite direction). Physics says that when she hits the end of the lead she will swap nose for tail. You will be over ten feet away and rapidly departing. She will have no choice but to follow you. When she does catch up you can stop and praise her for walking with you. Then do it again - approach a person or leashed dog. When she begins to go into kill mode you drop the length of lead and silently sprint in the opposite direction. Even the slowest dogs will get a clue after the third nose-for-tail swap and start to hesitate and glance at you when an enticement looms. Make sure her training collar fits her and won’t slide off her head. You’ll need to gauge the distance and your lead length so she cannot connect before she hits the end. Do not stop or give any indication that you noticed she had an event at the end of the line. It should be something that has nothing to do with you - she can’t argue with a law of nature (physics), but she could want to reprimand you if you stand there fussing over her distress.