Can horses be like pets? Can we pamper them and love them like how we love our dogs?

I do have a chance of getting a horse once I marry. That might be a gift to me from my dad and mom. The wedding sending away gift and always wanted a horse. But can I keep her as a pet? Maybe train her to ride, get her a nice stall and just pamper her…

Can horses be like pets? Can we pamper them and love them like how we love our dogs?

I do have a chance of getting a horse once I marry. That might be a gift to me from my dad and mom. The wedding sending away gift and always wanted a horse. But can I keep her as a pet? Maybe train her to ride, get her a nice stall and just pamper her…...
    General Dog Discussions : Can horses be like pets? Can we pamper them and love them like how we love our dogs?...

• Can horses be like pets? Can we pamper them and love them like how we love our dogs?

Can horses be like pets? Can we pamper them and love them like how we love our dogs? General Dog Discussions
      I do have a chance of getting a horse once I marry. That might be a gift to me from my dad and mom. The wedding sending away gift and always wanted a horse. But can I keep her as a pet? Maybe train her to ride, get her a nice stall and just pamper her all the time like how I pamper my dogs? I hate being cruel to animals but always wanted to have a pet horse. I would never ride her roughly or hurt her but should I also get her trained first? Is it not possible to train her myself? I just want a pony to love and care for... my childhood dream. Please give me some advice. Thanks.

Can horses be like pets? Can we pamper them and love them like how we love our dogs? General Dog Discussions
    • Yes, they are pets, just big ones.You still have to clean up after them, brush them, feed them and be a friend to them. They are more than a beast of burden. they are a companion to some just like any other pet.What did you think they were?

• Of course you can love and pamper your horse like other pets. But horses like your other animals are sociable animals and if not living with other horses you will have to give them plenty of attention. Also like dogs, horses need to excersie daily, so if you are wondering if you can put it in a stall and leave it there for a day sorry but that isnt possible.

• Go for it, im 36 and i got my pony when i was 12yrs old, and i still have him, horses are beautiful and so much pleasure, take your mum and dad up on the offer, and enjoy

• Yes, you can pamper and pet them as much as you like.It would need to be trained and that is a job for a professional and not something you want to try yourself.But if you're not much bothered about riding and want it as a pet more than anything else you could consider rescuing an old or abused horse or pony who would be glad of all the attention.

• If you want to start your life out right with horses, you need to go find a trainer or a very knowleagable person to help you select an appropriate horse for your goals. If you just want a nice gentle horse to bum around on and have fun, I suggest you buy an older horse (at least about 12) and take lessons. If you don't bother to learn the proper way to communicate with your horse by taking lessons you will only end up with a huge problem on your hands. If you are good with your dogs (ie you have been able to train them) you will probably be a natural with horses, but you need the lessons. I repeat, you need to take lessons. Did I say you need to take lessons? You need to take lessons.

• If you just want a pet, why not consider adopting a horse or pony with limited soundness? Maybe one that could stand light riding, puttering around a yard or arena. If you catch the bug and want to expand your riding, this horse would then make a great companion to your next one. (Like Lays potato chips, my sister says, you can't have just one!)A reputable rescue will assist you with learning horsemanship issues. Horses aren't just like other pets, there are some serious care issues that a novice wouldn't just "know." (More to it than just feed them, vaccinate them, love them)If you're a novice, certainly use a professional trainer and preferably start with an experienced, calm horse. I know I've said it before, but it's true : Green (horse) plus Green (rider) equals black and blue (bruises)

• Yes, Horses make great pets if you have a stable with lots of pasture at home. They are not cheap to keep. They need vet care, worming, yearly vaccines, and posible sickness treatment. Also they need feeding and watering twice daily 24/7 That's 365 days a year. It's someting I've done for forty years. I recently buried a horse I had for 25 years. Yes another expense, and more heartbreak than you can imagine. I have been true to my love of horses . Anything in life you do requires time and money. Also friends with horses.

• Horses can be treated like a dog & respond to affection about the same way, just long as one doesn't want a lap dog.We work cattle with ours, but still have a lot of affection toward them. Chuckle, they & dogs are nice to talk to & respond much better than children.However, horses are expensive to own & care for properly... they require about 10X the effort to keep healthy & properly fed than any other animal I know of. Unless you are prepared to pay someone to exercise, groom & feed a horse or take on duties simular to rasing a child, don't get one.

• Yeah, you can pamper horses and have them as huge pets. They love it! How tall are you? Because it also depends upon your height, but I would get either a paint or a POA (pony of america) gelding. And it also depends upon what would like to do, but if you've never had a horse, then a horse that is well trained and quiet. Or if you'd like to do some of your own training then a horse that has had some amount of training, but just needs the cherry on the top. It would a big enough space to run around.The paints and POAs that I've been around have all been very quiet, good tempered and good natured. I have a paint mare that is very good from the start and her and her daughter are basically big pets and they love it.But yes they are big pets and love being pampered. You can either do some of your own training or have it already well trained. I wish the best of luck to you

• Please do not think horses are dogs. If you don't know how or want to work it then you are better off with a poodle. I know this isn't what you want to hear but honestly a lot of people buy horses as "pasture ornaments" or pets. This makes for a dangerous situation because horses naturally live in a pecking order. If you don't assert your dominance, and no not by beating but by working (yes even quite hard at times), they will assert theirs. I was recently at a barn where people boarded "pet horses." Out of the 40 horses, only 5 were ridden. The 5 were completely out of control (i.e. rearing on the lead, bucking under saddle, bolting under saddle and on the lunge) because they too thought they should be like the other pasture ornaments. The pasture ornaments wouldn't let anyone catch them, lead them or stall them. And most of them had terrible worms because the owners didn't know enough and if they did couldn't catch them. Another terribly dangerous thing is when people buy horses as "pets" and fail to really know how to do things.There are regular costs too. With horses, the inital price is the smallest check you will be writing. Its not like going to the pound and adopting a dog. Horses need shoes every six weeks $150, feed $200-300 per month, mucking daily, vet bills $300-sky is the limit. You need to have a proper place for them unless you want animal control to come knocking at your door. By proper I mean safely fenced and 1-4 acres per horse depending on local regulations. And you have to build at least a basic shelter, add another $4000 here. You need to worm every 6-8 weeks, another $15. If you board expect another $200-$1000. Yes, I have paid $1000 for board per month and it can be quite painful, esp when on top of a hefty training bill. If you want something to just love and care for, which is wonderful, go to your local humane society and find a dog to be your current dog's sibling.If you are set on a horse just "to love," get a rescue horse that needs to fatten up and is probably never going to be physically able to be a riding mount. Please do not buy a properly trained, sound, working horse and properly know what to do or how. The horse will go mad and atrophy, it will be a travesty and a terrible waste.Learn EVERYTHING you can about how to properly care for them, from books and trainers not just forums. When I say trainers I don't mean your proverbial "Aunt Sally" who claims to know about horses because she read Monty Roberts. Unless your proverbial "Aunt Sally" has many ribbons and runs a busy horse business, I would track down a professional trainer with a significant barn. Ask if you can work there (read - haul manure) for lessons and learn how to really care for a horse. You could just have your parents buy you riding lessons as they seem to want to support your dream, which is wonderful. But don't have them write a check for a horse just yet.Do not attempt to train a horse when you don't know what you are doing. Futhermore on this topic there is a huge difference between just reading about something vs having an experienced person show you how to do something. This is for your safety. You need to acquire "horse sense" before you acquire a horse or s/he could bully you and personally I wouldn't stand for 1000 lbs of bullying. Even the most skilled horsemen can end up toothless from a good kick in the head, with a metal hip or worse. I know my words are not painting the most romantic picture of horse ownership but its more sweat and grit than anything else and I find its best to know what you are getting into before its too late.

• Due to the size of horses and the extensive care they require, it's not practical to think of them as pets. I don't consider horses "pets." Dogs and cats and birds and hamsters are pets.Yes, you can certainly love a horse. Before you get a horse or pony, learn about how to properly care for it. You train a horse or pony every time you handle it. You can train your pony to trust you so he/she knows that you won't hurt him/her. Evidently this would be your first horse or pony, and it would be best for you to get one that is older and well-trained already. Do NOT buy a horse or pony that has problems or needs training. Get someone who knows a lot about horses in your area to come with you to look at horses and evaluate the animal for you. First of all, the horse or pony must be healthy and should be well-trained and have a good temperament. If you have a pasture where you could keep the horse or pony, I would recommend that instead of keeping it in a stall all the time. It's a lot cheaper to keep horses in a pasture, and doing so lessens the chance that they will develop bad barn habits. Horses and ponies need to be out so they can graze and get exercise. But first be sure the pasture is free of rocks, weeds, sharp objects, and holes. Also, do not put a horse or pony in a pasture that has a barbed wire fence! They need to have access to clean water and a salt block. If the horse or pony does not come with his tack, you will need to find a professional to help you get some tack that will properly fit the horse or pony. You will also need to take riding lessons and learn how to communicate with your horse or pony using your hands, voice and legs. There are many considerations to getting and keeping a horse or pony. You mentioned pampering. If by that you mean giving the horse or pony treats as a matter of habit, I would strongly advise against that. Do NOT feed them sugar or sweets; it's not good for them and can cause problems. The only people food that is acceptable for horses and ponies are apples and carrots, and only as an occasional treat.

• find the book called "how horses learn" and yes we just lost our horse after 33 years. she was a big pet. we got her when she was 5 or 6 in florida, move to oklahoma then texas. she would come to the fence and get carrots, loved watermelon, and in the summer when we waterd she would stand and make you wet her down till she cooled then turn around for the other side. she was always loved on and treated gently. in florida we ran and won in playdays. in texas when she had her foals, she would birth somewhere on the farm then bring that new baby right to the fence where she got her carrots and whinny till we came out to see it!! because she was such a pet she never tried to keep us away from her baby and would let us handle her all over. but once again that book is a wonder, a must have!!!

• Absolutely but i hope this isnt taken the wrong way- do you know much about horses? Please dont take that the wrong way but they are a large, strong animal and you need to know what your doing and have experience around them- if you do then thats great and they would make a great pet but as with one of the other answers you have had the horse must be able to have time in the field. Even if the horse is exercised by yourself he/she should have turnout, they are socialble animals and also for sanity reasons they musnt be left in a stall all day! If you have little experience then I reccomend that you have some riding and stable management lessons at a local riding school before you consider buying one! Its a lot of work and is very rewarding and its great that you want to give a horse such a good home but remember its not so simple as going out and buying one, there is the cost of the up keep (feed, hay, worming, farrier, vets bills) lots to consider. If financially there's not a problem then go ahead but take someone with you who has lots of experience when buying one - you have to buy one that is suitable for you- as with people they all have different temperaments and some can be very unpredictable!! Hope that helps!

• yes, they are like all pets. they need pampered and loved. although you cant pick them up and put them on your bed to sleep with. It would be easier for you to go down and sleep w/ur horse, acctually. Riding them is like taqking them for a walk. Wetting them after the ride is sorta like a bath. Feeding them grass and sweet feed and apples and carrots is a treat for them. Combing their manes and tales, and brushing them out is a way to keep them looking neat. falling asleep on their backs is a way of showing them you care. your see? yes, it is very possible to train a horse your self. although, if you arent very experienced, and dont know how, its probaballly better just to get a professional trainer to do it for you.