How can I get my dog to calm down so I can cut her nails?

My dog gets extremely anxious when I try to clip her nails and we can't keep her still long enough to clip them. Any suggestions?

My dog gets extremely anxious when I try to clip her nails and we can't keep her still long enough to clip them. Any suggestions?...
    General Dog Discussions : How can I get my dog to calm down so I can cut her nails?...

• How can I get my dog to calm down so I can cut her nails?

How can I get my dog to calm down so I can cut her nails? General Dog Discussions
      My dog gets extremely anxious when I try to clip her nails and we can't keep her still long enough to clip them. Any suggestions?

How can I get my dog to calm down so I can cut her nails? General Dog Discussions
    • it will honestly take a while , she is probably just not used to it yet. just try your hardest to be patient with her and after a while hopefully she will get used to it. Also you can try cutting her nails just a tiny bit, less than you would normally want to so that you have to cut her nails more often and get her into a routine of thinking its a normal thing I have 3 german shepherds and I used to have a rough time as well but now they are all good with it

• Most dogs don't like to have their feet handled and the only way to deal with this is to handle their feet regularly. I've never done this til my current young dog and have always had to more or less struggle to cut my dogs nails. My current dog was handled all over from when she was a small pup and I have continued that since I got her last July. When I cut her nails a few days ago I said "give your paw" and she gave me her paw and calmly watched me cut her nails! Way cool and I will always do this will all my pets forevermore.I suggest that you start handling your dog all over every day. You can do this at any time, in front of the TV is good because you'll both be relaxed. Just stroke and touch every part of her body, including and especially her feet and tail. At first this is without trying to cut her nails, just touch her all over, squeeze gently and talk to her soothingly. Once she's comfortable with this process you can start to handle each toe - work your way into giving her a toe and foot massage every day. Once she submits to this handling without qualms it's probably ok to try to trim her toenails. Be sure to stay calm and relaxed and be sure you know how to trim a dogs toenails without hitting the vein or causing discomfort. If her nails need to be trimmed NOW, take her to petsmart or a groomer and have them do it. Then you can trim them later when you've taught her to let you handle her all over.Be very careful to know what you are doing when you cut a dogs nail. If you hit the vein or nerve it will hurt the dog and the dog will not forget, ever. My last dog was black and it was impossible to tell where the vein in her nail was so I only cut off tiny bits at a time and did it often. One day she started to struggle just as I was squeezing the cutting plier and she jammed her nail way into the pliers. The toenail was cut very short, way into the vein, it hurt her terribly and she wailed and wailed, blood squirted everywhere and it was a big awful, traumatic mess. She hadn't liked me to trim her nails before but would tolerate it. After that for the rest of her life she was really scared to have her nails cut.

• I have had the same problem with my large dogs. This helped for me.Spend time getting them used to you just lying/straddling over them while they are dropped ( dogs trained in the drop and stay position or obedience really helps believe me). Start playing and holding his paws just so he gets used to it.Always while he is doing this pat, reward and praise him for his coperative behaviour.A good quality set of clippers is essential. They need to to be sharp in order for a quick cut.If you have the chance for someone to pat and reassure him while you are clipping will help too.A big reward afterwards if you achieve your goal!

• Patience is the key. It's not a job that you can rush, so you will need to condition her gradually. Also you can do it after exercise and a meal, so she'll be tired. I have a German Shepherd and he doesn't like it, but he cooperates because he trusts me. To start the conditioning, let her see and smell the clippers and every time you get them out, then give her her favourite food treat. Over time she will associate nail clippers with good things. Then once she's used to the clippers, start to gently touch them against her paws without trying to cut her nails. Once used to that then try and trim just the ends. Set aside half an hour or more if needed and go slowly. Walking her on roads/pavements will also wear them down.

• Wish you luck. In 40 years of dog ownership we have not had much problem in that respect but one of our present digs is a 7 year old Parson Russell terrier and she hates her nails being cut and though not a big dog she is very fit and very strong. We now take her to our vets and ask for one specific Vets Nurse to do them, she is only a little whisp of a woman, looks as if a good wind would blow her over, but for some reason our girl lets this person cut her nails without problem. Worth the 12 quid to avoid the hassle.