My dog keeps bobbling her head once a month and gets really sick?

I have a 1 year old shih zhu poodle that is roughly 10 pounds. She gets into the garbage often, and gets into anything and everything she can. When she was about 5 months old she started wobbling her head and couldn't move, we took her to the vet.. She…

I have a 1 year old shih zhu poodle that is roughly 10 pounds. She gets into the garbage often, and gets into anything and everything she can. When she was about 5 months old she started wobbling her head and couldn't move, we took her to the vet.. She…...
    General Dog Discussions : My dog keeps bobbling her head once a month and gets really sick?...

• My dog keeps bobbling her head once a month and gets really sick?

My dog keeps bobbling her head once a month and gets really sick? General Dog Discussions
      I have a 1 year old shih zhu poodle that is roughly 10 pounds. She gets into the garbage often, and gets into anything and everything she can. When she was about 5 months old she started wobbling her head and couldn't move, we took her to the vet.. She has a chemical imbalance from it, all they gave her was I.v and she was better. For about the past 3 months, almost 1 or twice every month she wobbles her head, a lot!! It happened to her maybe a week ago, and it came back again. It usually stays for the whole day until she sleeps at night and wakes up completely fine, last time it only lasted 2 hours. Its happening more frequently.... Not sure what to do! I have no money to take her to the vet at the moment but when as soon as I can I will! Anybody know what the hell to do???? Its really scarring me??:(

My dog keeps bobbling her head once a month and gets really sick? General Dog Discussions
    • Well, a call to the vet is always free! You can also go to an ASPCA clinic for a cheaper option than a standard vet. Make sure your dog doesn't get in the trash, my dogs always got sick when they did. Teaching them not to might require a bit of training. Also, make sure water is always available to your dog, dehydration can have awful awful effects on dogs. Sorry I don't have better advice but for this, it sounds like a trip to the vet is necessary. It'll be cheaper if you take your dog now than if you wait. Really, you might think this is harsh and I'm sorry if you think it is- but if you don't have enough money to take your dog to the vet for a visit (usually between $30-$60 for a general), you probably shouldn't have a dog. They are expensive and can only become more so with age. Here's an idea to help with the costs: I have a separate savings account just for dog expenses and emergency vet visits. I put in $10-$15 each month and even though I don't need it often, when I do - it REALLY really helps not break the bank. I used up my all 'dog savings' on visits and medicine in the past month but it didn't hurt me financially.

• I think you're describing symptoms of botulism poisoning. Dogs are usually fairly resistant to the clostridium botulinum toxins, so your vet may have blown it off OR your vet may have known that the treatment options for botulism poisoning in dogs are very, very limited once clinical signs have been manifested and just administered IV fluids in hopes that your dog would beat the toxin on her own. They either recover on their own or they die. Your dog is either having residual effects or she's getting into the trash again.Now, you are a human who is saying "I can't keep a 10 lb. shih zuh out of the garbage", which is actually a really weenie-whiny thing to say. Afterall, you are a human who's kind can erect skyscrapers and launch satellites into orbit around the earth while your dog is a toy breed that has had most of its nature bred out of it to make it pliable and innocuous. You can keep your dog out of the garbage. Yes, you can.You're also saying "I don't have the money to take care of my obviously sick dog", which ACTUALLY means "I can't afford to have a dog and should probably look into adopting her out".Sorry.