6 month old German Shepherd Dog normal weight?

I have a 6 month old German Shepherd Dog people always say he looks thin, the vet says he is healthy & he looks fine and that he will fill out as he gets older I was just wondering what is the average weight of a 6 month old GSD He weighs 75 pounds and…

I have a 6 month old German Shepherd Dog people always say he looks thin, the vet says he is healthy & he looks fine and that he will fill out as he gets older I was just wondering what is the average weight of a 6 month old GSD He weighs 75 pounds and…...
    General Dog Discussions : 6 month old German Shepherd Dog normal weight?...

• 6 month old German Shepherd Dog normal weight?

6 month old German Shepherd Dog normal weight? General Dog Discussions
      I have a 6 month old German Shepherd Dog people always say he looks thin, the vet says he is healthy & he looks fine and that he will fill out as he gets older I was just wondering what is the average weight of a 6 month old GSD He weighs 75 pounds and is 27 1/2 inches tall from floor to shoulders.I feed him Blue Buffalo and feed him the amount according to the bag instructions.I do give him steaks and meaty bones once in a while as well.

6 month old German Shepherd Dog normal weight? General Dog Discussions
    • I will give you 2 links, http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/134/8/2027S and http://www.longliveyourdog.com/twoplus/RateYourDog.aspxThe amount is printed on the bag, not carved in stone. If by the above he is too thin, you can offer him more. He may not eat it. Many Shepherds love to show off their ribs.

• You need to read up more on the breed, and join a good yahoo GSD group. You are obviously insecure since you ask us to tell you if the dog is ok, EVEN AFTER your VET TOLD YOU the dog is healthy and just fine! You should trust your vet. Your vet is trained; your friends are not! People who give unasked advice need to be ignored. I have great pyrenees... 3 right now. They are slightly larger as a breed than the GSD, but close in size. Large breed dogs are healthier if they stay slender. Your dog knows about how to tell the dog's body condition. He doesn't just judge your dog by height and weight but also by body condition. You should google search "canine body condition chart" and look at several websites that tell you how to recognize your dog's body condition. You are feeding him a good quality food.Your vet is happy with his body condition. He's active and lively. His bones don't show. He's just slender, like my senior male pyr is. GSD, like pyrs gain most of their height in the first 9 months. After that, their growth rate slows, and they gain muscle mass and bulk out a bit. He will fill in between age 9 months and 2 years, when most large breed dogs reach their final adult size. He sounds like he's doing great. If anyone tells you he "looks thin", just tell them you've discussed it with your vet who has assured you that your dog is right on target and he's not supposed to be bulk out until he matures a bit more. If they persist, tell them you go to the vet you do because you know this vet knows his/her business and you trust him/her-!-

• ADD ON;The amount printed on the food bag is what you have to feed in order to meet the nutritional availability printed on the bag. Feeding less, gives you less of the nutrition and feeding more adds more. The nutritional status of the food is determined by the NRC council, so you are better off feeding exactly what the bag says to feed, and then adding extras, which is what you are already doing.Sounds like you're doing fine. You really can't base your dogs weight on any "average" because all dogs have different body structures. At 6 months your dog is going into the "uglies", a time in their life where their body just doesn't seem to fit their skin, and they sometimes get very boney looking and akward(sp?). Here is a site where you can learn how to look at your dog and know whether or not he is in good shape;http://www.purina.com/dog/weight-and-exercise/bodycondition.aspxDon't be put off by the purina, it isn't an ad.Here is the AKC standard for your breed;http://www.akc.org/breeds/german_shepherd_dog/