.my 2month pup growls and tries to bite us.?

My puppy loves to sleep on our deck. Sometimes, he does not want to come in at night, so i pick him up. But he growls and tries to bite me, enough to scare me. He is only little now but will soon be a 75 to 85 pound dog. I do not want to worry of him…

My puppy loves to sleep on our deck. Sometimes, he does not want to come in at night, so i pick him up. But he growls and tries to bite me, enough to scare me. He is only little now but will soon be a 75 to 85 pound dog. I do not want to worry of him…...
    General Dog Discussions : .my 2month pup growls and tries to bite us.?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• .my 2month pup growls and tries to bite us.?

.my 2month pup growls and tries to bite us.? General Dog Discussions
      My puppy loves to sleep on our deck. Sometimes, he does not want to come in at night, so i pick him up. But he growls and tries to bite me, enough to scare me. He is only little now but will soon be a 75 to 85 pound dog. I do not want to worry of him biting me or my 10 year old daughter or any of her friends or anyone visiting us. Is this normal for his little age, trying to be dominant over us? How do we stop this, and disipline this behaviour?He is a Golden Retriever.

.my 2month pup growls and tries to bite us.? General Dog Discussions
    • Obedience training. You need to nip this in the bud soon (now). Get him in basic obedience class and that will also help you and your family learn how to deal with him and teach you to be the leader, not him leading you.

• Ok are you sure it's not a reaction to pain? I would advise FIRST that you get a checkup from the vet's office to make sure he doesn't have problems with his tummy. They can't say "Mom, gee that hurts, don't pick me up.". There could be something wrong there. If the vet checks it out and he's ok then he needs to be trained that isn't a good idea. One way that might work immediately is to put a collar on him and before you make him go inside at night hook up a leash to it. If he's used to walking with a leash then he won't fight you. Then you can work on touching his problem areas with a training collar and train him not to bite when touched there. A professional trainer will do you very good. Just please, don't forget his health first and get him checked out. You're doing well by asking, your babies come first so kudos to you and good luck!

• Lay him on his side/back and don't let him up until he stops moving, teach the down, this is a submissive position. Cry out when he bites you, put his lip under his teeth and press just enough for him to feel it, when he lets go, give him something he can bite, this is a last resort and should only be used on dominant puppies. What breed is he? This dog is too young for a choker, and prong collars work better.

• Get a choke chain, Next time he growls yell as loud as you can "OUT" (this will scare him and let him know that he is not allowed to growl) (also when a mom dog corrects its young its bark sounds like out, and at the same time as the mom does this it wraps its mouth around the pup and forces it to the ground.) as you are yelling out give a very light jerk on the chain, if he gets worse, or starts to bite, are if he continues to growl pull a little harder every time. he will then know you are the "ALPHA" and he will stop.

• This is definitely a dominance problem...you're not the boss in his eyes. My pup had the same idea but wanted to be under the porch...it led to our one and only confrontation. He's really a sweet boy and learns fast.There are several methods of dog trainig out there. Most of them will use positive reinforcement as the sole method and this is great when it works. If you have a problem dog you want to keep, I recommend looking at Koehler's method of dog training. Understand the ideas (imediate correction and dominance) but be careful about the harsh methods.I recommend training the dog yourself. You both will know what to expect and it shows who the boss is (I hope it's you!). Be prepared to make mistakes but also be ready for a rewarding experience...read first.If you decide to take the easy way out and dump him off at a school, observe the school before you take him to insure it holds the same ideals as you.

• When he goes to nip or growl, hold his mouth and say "No" in a stern voice. When he calms down, pet and praise him. Try to call him from inside to come off the deck and make sure to reward him when he does come inside. As a puppy, you need to establish who is the boss.