My dog flips out during car rides?

I adopted a Lab when he was 3 1/2 years old. The people that he lived with before only took him in the car twice, and both times were to the vet. I want to be able to take him out more...to the dog park, running errands...but he flips out every time I…

I adopted a Lab when he was 3 1/2 years old. The people that he lived with before only took him in the car twice, and both times were to the vet. I want to be able to take him out more...to the dog park, running errands...but he flips out every time I…...
    General Dog Discussions : My dog flips out during car rides?...

• My dog flips out during car rides?

My dog flips out during car rides? General Dog Discussions
      I adopted a Lab when he was 3 1/2 years old. The people that he lived with before only took him in the car twice, and both times were to the vet. I want to be able to take him out more...to the dog park, running errands...but he flips out every time I try. He barks literally non-stop and paces and tries to get into the front seat. He weighs 90 pounds so it's not safe trying to drive and keep him calm. I tried putting him in a giant cage for the ride, to at least contain him while we 'practiced' our car rides, it didn't help. He doesn't seem scared, just VERY excited. How can I get him to calm down and learn to enjoy riding in the car?

My dog flips out during car rides? General Dog Discussions
    • My Lab is 8-9 and we've had her since she was 1. She HATES riding in the car, always has. When we take her on long car trips, we have to give her homiopathic Nerve Tonic just so she won't hyperventilate. Recently, I've been recommended the "Thundershirt" made for dogs. I havn't been able to afford/aquire ane yet, and she's rather arthritic, so we try to avoid car rides at all. But you might try Thundershirt, it's basically a snug vest especially for dogs, that hugs and makes them feel safe. http://www.thundershirt.com/?gclid=CJeZ1PLiz7QCFQuCQgodDEoANg

• What you're seeing isn't excitement ... it's anxiety.Many dogs never learn to enjoy riding in a moving vehicle. Some can be taught to tolerate it by desensitization, which starts with sitting in the car for a minute or two without even starting the car, giving the dog positive reinforcement if he remains calm ... working up to sitting still with the car running, to backing out of the driveway, to short runs of a few minutes' duration ... it's a process.I've also heard good things about the 'Thundershirt', but like anything, its effectiveness will vary from one dog to another. A better option would be a harness restraint, which FORCES the dog to stay still. Most dogs displaying anxiety in a moving vehicle do so because of the unsteadiness (and usually, nausea) they feel ... they cannot anticipate acceleration, deceleration, stopping, and turning the way we can, so every time the car speeds up, slows down, stops, or turns, the dog is thrown off balance (and his stomach lurches!). Keeping the dog off his feet and in one place takes that out of the equation. Also, much safer for the driver and, in the event of an accident, the dog does not become a 90-lb projectile.