I'm curious about how much i should feed my dogs?

My Golden Retriever should be anywhere from 65-75pounds, he's been with my Grandpa until we move into my new house, and i Know he is overweight. Probably like 85-90 pounds.Should i feed him the amount on the label for a dog for 75 pounds, or should i…

My Golden Retriever should be anywhere from 65-75pounds, he's been with my Grandpa until we move into my new house, and i Know he is overweight. Probably like 85-90 pounds.Should i feed him the amount on the label for a dog for 75 pounds, or should i…...
    General Dog Discussions : I'm curious about how much i should feed my dogs?...

• I'm curious about how much i should feed my dogs?

I'm curious about how much i should feed my dogs? General Dog Discussions
      My Golden Retriever should be anywhere from 65-75pounds, he's been with my Grandpa until we move into my new house, and i Know he is overweight. Probably like 85-90 pounds.Should i feed him the amount on the label for a dog for 75 pounds, or should i slowly go down from 90 and eventually hit 65-70 pounds? (He is 4 years.)Also my German Shepherd should be 85-95 pounds, and he's only about 65 maybe. Should i keep feeding him that amount of food, or should i do what he SHOULD be at? (He is only a year.)Thanks a bunch.(:

I'm curious about how much i should feed my dogs? General Dog Discussions
    • Even vets. will tell you you can't go by the bag amount on the bag. Dogs like people Some require more food to maintain a proper weight and some are easy keepers and require less to maintain the weight. If your golden isn't getting a lot of exercise then he requires less food to keep the proper weight. You will have to experiment with the amount for example if he is getting 4cups a day total then cut him down to 3 1/2 c. a day total leaving out table scraps and treats. You should see some weight lose in a couple weeks. If he maintains a good weight at that amount of food then keep it there. If he still isn't loosing the weight you may need to go down to 3c. a day total. Not knowing what he is being fed now this is just an example. You just have to try different amounts until you hit the right one. It your dog likes treats try giving him baby carrots, slices of apple (no core or seeds).Your GS is still a pup and large breeds do better if you keep them on the lean side while they are growing. You will have less leg problems as they grow fast and the extra weight is hard on their young growth plates. It is easier to put weight on a health dog than it is to take it off. When he reaches maturity you can start adding food and again just play with the amount until you have the right amount for his size. Keep in mind that the size of the dog should determine how much weight he should carry.