mastiff puppy information?

Hello everyone.I am hoping all of you mastiff parents out their can give me some good info on a mastiff puppy.We recently added a 6 week old female to our family. i know what your going to say..she is way to young, not from a good breeder and i will…

Hello everyone.I am hoping all of you mastiff parents out their can give me some good info on a mastiff puppy.We recently added a 6 week old female to our family. i know what your going to say..she is way to young, not from a good breeder and i will…...
    General Dog Discussions : mastiff puppy information?...

• mastiff puppy information?

mastiff puppy information? General Dog Discussions
      Hello everyone.I am hoping all of you mastiff parents out their can give me some good info on a mastiff puppy.We recently added a 6 week old female to our family. i know what your going to say..she is way to young, not from a good breeder and i will agree with you. we took in this little baby from a backyard breeder who didn't care she was infeseted with fleas. i have contacted local asap and gave all info on this person and hoping to hear back soon. however. i couldn't leave this little baby suffering so we took her.she has had many bath with me and 2 with our vet. she is current on all shots and will be spayed at proper age.we are very happy to give her a very happy/loving forever home.however we have always had pitbulls.which our male pitbull (dont worry he is neutered) LOVES "georgia" (our newest addition)i am hoping for any mastiff parents out there to give us any/all info you think we should know. i have done plenty of homework on the internet but its not the same as hearing it from actual owners.we own our house which is very spacious. we have a nice fenced in back yard and a nice big sectioned off our kitchen for our dogs. we can afford all vet bills, check ups and food. (i am also planning on taking her for ofa testing for hips/elbows/eyes cardiac ect when she is 6 months)we are wondering how big females usually get, she is currently 7 weeks tomorrow (as we are guessing from what the guy told us), drooling/grooming is not a issue for us.would like to know what you think is the best food, do you give any vitamins? training? besides basic commands, ect.any and all info will be great!thanks so much

mastiff puppy information? General Dog Discussions
    • Hello! I have a 2 year old bull mastiff mix (Not the breed bull mastiff, a mixture between I think American Bull and Mastiff) we've had since he was about 3 months. I'm guessing you just want to know how he acts and such? He's been very easy to train, though he begs a lot while you're eating but if you just yell at him he lays down. He talks on command, rolls over, sits, lays down, and jumps. They're big dogs, and they're actually a little easy to train for walking if you're persistent. Once you get them to just stop pulling it's a breeze. With him, anyway. He's a big dog. I'm not sure about females, but he's got to be about 90 pounds now. Well, he's getting a little chubby so maybe 95. He's very sweet, he loves attention and gets very jealous when we give it to our other dog. He literally whines and barks at her, and tries to push her out of the way. They're very protective, if we hug each other they bark at us. He barks at cars, and just about anything that passes by. We have to walk our dogs separately because when they're together he's very protective over her and suddenly barks at everyone who walks by. Alone, he's quite good around humans. He doesn't like other dogs, but that's because our other dog doesn't either and I think he just picked that up with her, and we didn't socialize them enough at all. So make sure you take her to the dog park, and on walks where other dogs are. We get out dog food at a local feed and seed, when we go there we ask for a bag of blue and they load it up into the car. It's about 50 lbs of dog food. The actual brand name is Plantation, I think you could get it online or locate a store that sells it. It's nice, the woman who owns the feed and seed told us she'd been feeding her dogs it for about 13 years. And she told us that 2 years ago. We don't give vitamins, but it might be good to. As for training, I'm not really sure how to help without literally showing you. It was quite easy to potty train him, and on walks the way I got him not to pull was EVERY time he pulled, I sat him down, made him wait, and then walks when I told him it was okay. If he got up before I said it was okay, I made him sit right back down. It was effective. Tiring, but effective.

• For food: I personally recommend PMR (prey-model-raw) as this is what a dog should eat. Before 250 years ago, when there was no kibble, there was this thing called meat that dogs would hunt for. It is hard to entice a smart dog to eat kibble, as this is not what is natural for them. Dogs weren't made to eat processed, additive-filled pellets. They were made to eat MEAT, as you can see with one glimpse at their teeth. Dogs are carnivores, not omnivores. An omnivores jaws/teeth were made to go side-to-side to chew plant matter, a carnivores jaws/teeth were made to go up and down so they can tear meat. They also have very short digestive tracts, like a wolves, to digest meat. Whereas an omnivore has a very long digestive tract for digesting plant matter. Anyway, my dogs have been doing great on PMR! Less poop, less stink, shinier coats, and pearly whites! At first it was hard to get them to start as they had been on kibble their whole lives. It took me a couple days before they would eat their chicken.The ideal amount to feed to a dog on PMR is 80% muscle meat, 10% organs, and 10% bone. Most people think that feeding PMR is extremely expensive but really, it's not. I post ads on craigslist for unwanted/freezer-burnt meat and I have been getting TONS of replies. I just recently got 70 lbs of beef for FREE! I have literally only spent $25 this month on RAW, a lot less than when I fed premium kibble, which was over $100 a month. Plus, this is SO much better for them! :)Here is a Facebook site that you can use if you decide to feed PMR! They are glad to help and answer ANY questions!https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/261761471359/For training:I just let the dog know who the leader is. I don't let my dogs get away with bad behavior and I have to be very consistent. If you aren't consistent with training, the dogs won't be consistent with good behavior. The commands I think are best for the dog to know first are come, stay, drop it, leave it, all done, and no. :)Don't let the pup get away with anything that you don't want her to do when she's older. Say like jumping on people, getting on the furniture, play biting, chasing cats, and things like that. If you let her do them when she's young, then she'll do them when she's 100+ lbs too, and then it'll be hard to train her not to because she'll be more set in her ways.I made this mistake with my German Shepherd/Great Dane mix. I failed to train her properly when she was younger and now she cannot be around cats, rabbits, or other small animals. She has a very high prey drive and actually catches wild rabbits. She does fine with our cat, but not with others outside of our house. I have done my best to train her, but now that she's 125 lbs, it's hard to do anything. LOL She is very polite with people, doesn't jump on people, great with our chickens, fine with our cat, loves other dogs, loves babies (but accidentally knocks them over with her tail), and things like that. :)Good luck with your pup.