Is Chocolate really bad for DOGS????

I left half of my chocolate bunny on the counter and my dog got to it and ate it. This bunny was huge and thick. Should I take my dog to the vet of something? Any suggestions? Or is the myth that chocolate is bad for dogs a lie?

I left half of my chocolate bunny on the counter and my dog got to it and ate it. This bunny was huge and thick. Should I take my dog to the vet of something? Any suggestions? Or is the myth that chocolate is bad for dogs a lie?...
    General Dog Discussions : Is Chocolate really bad for DOGS????...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Is Chocolate really bad for DOGS????

Is Chocolate really bad for DOGS???? General Dog Discussions
      I left half of my chocolate bunny on the counter and my dog got to it and ate it. This bunny was huge and thick. Should I take my dog to the vet of something? Any suggestions? Or is the myth that chocolate is bad for dogs a lie?

Is Chocolate really bad for DOGS???? General Dog Discussions
    • We'll how true is it you're probably wondering. Do I have to rush him to an emergency vet if he ate one of my M&M's?The truth is chocolate contains theobromine that is toxic to dogs in sufficient quantities. This is a xanthine compound in the same family of caffeine, and theophylline.Toxic LevelsThe good news is that it takes, on average, a fairly large amount of theobromine 100-150 mg/kg to cause a toxic reaction. Although there are variables to consider like the individual sensitivity, animal size and chocolate concentration.On average,Milk chocolate contains 44 mg of theobromine per oz.Semisweet chocolate contains 150mg/oz.Baker's chocolate 390mg/oz.Using a dose of 100 mg/kg as the toxic dose it comes out roughly as:1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for Semisweet chocolate1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for Baker's chocolate.So, for example, 2 oz. of Baker's chocolate can cause great risk to an 15 lb. dog. Yet, 2 oz. of Milk chocolate usually will only cause digestive problems. Clinical SignsXanthines affect the nervous system, cardiovascular system and peripheral nerves. It has a diuretic effect as well. Clinical signs: Hyper excitability Hyper irritability Increased heart rate Restlessness Increased urination Muscle tremors Vomiting DiarrheaTreatmentThere is no specific antidote for this poisoning. And the half life of the toxin is 17.5 hours in dogs. Induce vomiting in the first 1-2 hours if the quantity is unknown. Administering activated charcoal may inhibit absorption of the toxin. An anticonvulsant might be indicated if neurological signs are present and needs to be controlled. Oxygen therapy, intravenous medications, and fluids might be needed to protect the heart.Milk chocolate will often cause diarrhea 12-24 hours after ingestion. This should be treated symptomatically (fluids, etc..) to prevent dehydration.If you suspect your pet has ingested chocolate contact your Vet immediately! They can help you determine the the proper treatment for your pet.

• No it's not a myth! Chocolate in enough amounts can kill your dog!I would call your vet for instructions on what to do for yor dog! Why would you think it's a myth????

• No myth, it's bad. Here's some guidelines on chocolate and dogs.White chocolate: 200 ounces per pound of body weight. It takes 250 pounds of white chocolate to cause signs of poisoning in a 20-pound dog, 125 pounds for a 10-pound dog. Milk chocolate: 1 ounce per pound of body weight. Approximately one pound of milk chocolate is poisonous to a 20-pound dog; one-half pound for a 10-pound dog. The average chocolate bar contains 2 to 3 ounces of milk chocolate. It would take 2-3 candy bars to poison a 10 pound dog. Semi-sweet chocolate has a similar toxic level. Sweet cocoa: 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight. One-third of a pound of sweet cocoa is toxic to a 20-pound dog; 1/6 pound for a 10-pound dog. Baking chocolate: 0.1 ounce per pound body weight. Two one-ounce squares of bakers' chocolate is toxic to a 20-pound dog; one ounce for a 10-pound dog.

• Chocolate IS bad for dogs. Here is a chart that shows how much it takes before it just makes them sick or kills them.http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/2007-10/chocolate-chart.html

• YES it is dangerous for Dogs, the Caffeine in Chocolate is what is poisonous to a dog. It can make them very sick. I would watch your dog closely and if he/she starts to act differently, or is all of a sudden tired, or acting different, I would call the after hours vet and take him in. Some dogs don't show any signs of a problem and others will. Just be on the look out .

• yes you better hurry.my friends dog died from eating chocolate cake and other chocolate products.family party > chocolate involved > leads to chocolate left on the ground > dog goes in backyard > eats off ground > dies next day or soon that day. HURRY IT UP.

• It's not a myth. It depends on the weight of the dog and the type of chocolate and the amount that they get into. The darker the chocolate the more harmful it is. Call your vet and let them know what kind of chocolate and how much your dog got into.Better to be safe than sorry.

• If it is Dark Chocolate, yes, ASAP. But milk Chocolate... not really. My Pug ate 2.5 ounces of a chocolate heart. and she was 14 lbs. She was fine. There is a toxin in chocolate, but your dog has to eat a lot of chocolate to die. If you look on the back of the box the bunny came in, you will see that there is little chocolate in the food. Your dog's body temp will rise a little and your dog will be hyper. Just don't let your dog out side. Give the dog little room to run. They dog will be fine. But you can make your dog vomit by mixing peroxide and salt in some food to be sure, but it is dark chocolate, go to the vet NOW! But other wise your dog will be fine. It depends on the weight of the dog and the amount. Call your vet to be sure and to make you feel better.

• Yes, chocolate is dangerous to a dog's health. A little might just cause him an upset stomach, but half of a chocolate bunny could make him sicker. If he starts to act strange or show symptoms of lethargy or sickness, take him to the vet immediately.

• Chocolate is bad for dogs. A little bit of chocolate sometimes is ok but not a lot at one time. As long as he isn't throwing up or anything your dog should be ok. Just keep an eye on him.

• well he will proably have a sore tummy but he should be out being you make th eimpresion that he ate ALOT id have him tested for heart worms in a week or two and you may want to worm him soon if you havent already. but he shoudl be just fine.