What vaccinations and documentation do you need to obtain a dog passport?

Next year I want to take my dog to visit my sister in Italy. I know she will need a rabies vaccination (The dog, NOT my sister!!!).... is that it? What vaccinations do they need so they can have a passport? She has the "normal" vaccinations, the ones all…

Next year I want to take my dog to visit my sister in Italy. I know she will need a rabies vaccination (The dog, NOT my sister!!!).... is that it? What vaccinations do they need so they can have a passport? She has the "normal" vaccinations, the ones all…...
    General Dog Discussions : What vaccinations and documentation do you need to obtain a dog passport?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What vaccinations and documentation do you need to obtain a dog passport?

What vaccinations and documentation do you need to obtain a dog passport? General Dog Discussions
      Next year I want to take my dog to visit my sister in Italy. I know she will need a rabies vaccination (The dog, NOT my sister!!!).... is that it? What vaccinations do they need so they can have a passport? She has the "normal" vaccinations, the ones all puppy's have. Has anyone had the rabies vaccination for their dog? How many jabs is it and how long does it take for them to be "immune" and protected? She is a small dog, Bichon Frise, would she be allowed to travel on the plane with me (hand luggage) or would she have to go in the back with the suit cases and luggage? Are smaller dogs allowed in with the people ( as hand held luggage) if they are in a carrier / crate / flight container thing? I think I saw some sort of bag you can use to carry small dogs in for domestic flights? Has anyone done this with their dog? Is it terribly expensive? If you have the passport and vaccinations all sorted out does that mean no quarantine? Thanks for any useful info!

What vaccinations and documentation do you need to obtain a dog passport? General Dog Discussions
    • You will need to check with your vet and the airline you are flying.Each country has their own rules about this. Many require the dog to be quarantined for 30-90 days before coming into their country.It's not as easy as it seems, so cover all of your basis to make sure you don't have any unpleasant surprises when you get there.

• Your vet will give you any shots that may be due at the time and all the documents you'll need. Make sure you let the airline know she'll be sitting in the cabin with you. You'll need a Airline approved carrier as well. I took my dogs to Spain and it was great. All the best;~)

• First you need to contact the Italian Embassy to find out the rules of entry for a domestic animal like a dog. All countries have different rules including, certain vaccinations, quarantine, etc. Then you need to contact the airline you will be using. They also have rules about travel with pets. Some allow a dog in the cabin, but others have certain rules about only 1 dog in the cabin (meaning if someone else beats you to taking a dog... yours will have to travel below in cargo).So, you have lots of information to gather. Travelling with a pet is always stressful on the animal, so make sure you take into consideration your pet's needs... Don't just take the pet because you want to. Make sure it is the smartest decision before you take your pet on a long and stressful plane flight to a scary new place.Good luck.

• Delta and Continental have all the rules on their websites - theres alot !!! Continentals phone line is the best - easy, quick and knowledgeable people. You cant do anything about Quarantine policies, I'd find out if Italy has them. If it's for a brief visit and they do quarantine - well, there you go....Sounds like alot of work and money...

• The rabies vaccine is an annual shot (one jab!).You'll need a health certificate from your vet, and your dog will need to be microchipped. Contact the airline you will be using to find out if your dog will be allowed in the cabin.Here are a few links to get you started.

• This site will tell you everything you need to know:http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/pets/Procedures/owners.htmMany people now travel with their dogs to Europe, the initial set up is quite expensive. You will need to check with individual airlines to find out their rules

• 1. Contact Italian Ministry of Tourism for vaccination requirements. They differ country to country.2. Most airlines will allow a dog of Bichon's size on board3. Cargo travel can be very dangerous!!!!!4. Shouldn't be expensive while the dog travels with you.Best of luck and have a great time!!!! Both of you!!

• If you are travelling from UK, your first port of call is to ring DEFRA and find out the Italian requirements, each country has different regulations.Then a trip to your vets for a rabies vaccine, approx £30-40.30 days after the vaccine you have to have a blood test done to check your dogs titre levels against the rabies virus. approx £60-90 depending your vets.If all this comes back OK, it's back to your vets so they can fill in the passport.Make sure your dog is microchipped, upto date with all flea, tick and worm treatments.I can't stress enough to call DEFRA first though, some countries, if you take your dog out of the UK less than 6 months after the rabies vaccine will quarantine your dog.Airlines, don't know too much I'm afraid that will just take research on your part.Good luck.

• it takes about 6 months after the rabies vaccinations blood tests have to be done your dog will need to be micro chipped or tattooed as well. I would see your vet and let him talk you though the procedure, he will have to do the paper work for you